Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

[SOLVED] particleindex and external functions

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

This question is closely related to two others that I posted earlier regarding reserved names and external functions, both of which I would love answers to if you know what's going on here! (links at the bottom)

I'm using an external function with the Monte Carlo collision model in the Charged Particle Tracing module to reinitialize particle velocities on collision. This function has to be able to identify the current particle, and I want to do that by passing the particleindex variable. My assumption is that particleindex is an integer in the range 1-np inclusive, where np is the total number of particles in simulation.

The problem is that COMSOL crashes when I pass particleindex to my external function. I think this might have to do with an indexing problem (C arrays count from 0 but COMSOL counts from 1) but I can't really understand what's going on. If I pass an explicit integer for the particle index from COMSOL everything works fine, so I tried simulating only one particle and playing around with the indices. The result is:

If I set the value of outReal[0] in my external function then the velocity is reinitialized as I expect (outReal is the vector that gets passed back to COMSOL from the external function).

If I set the value of outReal[1] or outReal[2] then COMSOL doesn't complain but the particle's velocity doesn't change.

If I set the value of outReal[3], COMSOL crashes.

What's going on here? With only one particle in the simulation I would have expected any outReal[] index greater than 0 would cause an error. How can I reference the current particle in an external function for User Defined reinitialized velocities in the Elastic Collision node?

Thanks,
Devin

www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/46697/
www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/46695/

1 Reply Last Post Aug 12, 2014, 5:37 p.m. EDT

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 10 years ago Aug 12, 2014, 5:37 p.m. EDT
In case it's interesting to others, the resolution to this problem is that COMSOL does not pass velocities for all particles to the external function, it only passes velocities for those particles which had a collision during the last timestep. If you pass cpt.idx along with your velocities, COMSOL is smart enough to only pass the indices that are relevant and all the vectors it passes are ordered such that the subset of cpt.idx properly indexes the other vectors.

The following C++ code will take some arguments from the charged particle tracing module and randomize one velocity component. It writes all the input and output variables to a file called variableStates so you can see what's going on under the hood.

Edit: sorry about the formatting - I can't figure out how to get the forum to keep spaces or tabs at the beginning of lines.

#include <math.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <string.h>

#ifdef _MSC_VER
#define EXPORT __declspec(dllexport)
#else
#define EXPORT
#endif

#ifdef __cplusplus
extern "C"
{
#endif

static const char *error = NULL;

EXPORT int init(const char *str) {
/*open a file and write a line indicating that the function init
has been called */
FILE *ofp;
char outputFilename[] = "variableStates";
ofp = fopen(outputFilename, "a");
fprintf(ofp, "%s\n", "--- init Called ---");

//done with that, close the file
fclose(ofp);
return 1;

}

EXPORT const char * getLastError() {
/*open a file and write a line indicating that the function
getLastError has been called */
FILE *ofp;
fprintf(ofp, "%s\n", "--- getLastError Called ---");

//done with that, close the file
fclose(ofp);
return error;

}

double sq(const double x){
//this is a function that squares its argument
return x*x;
}

EXPORT int eval(const char *func, int nArgs, const double **inReal, const double **inImag, int blockSize, double *outReal, double *outImag) {
/* required arguments:
cartesian velocity (cpt.vx, cpt.vy, or cpt.vz)
cpt.pidx
cpt.Nc_ecX where X is a sequential index for each elastic
collision force node in the Charged Particle Tracing module */

int i, idx, thisIdx, r;
double x;

//check if COMSOL asked for the right function
if (strcmp("ext12", func) == 0) {

/*check if COMSOL passed the right number of arguments
and return if it didn't */
if (nArgs != 3) {
error = "Two arguments expected";
return 0;
}

/*open a file and write a line indicating that the function
eval has been called, then dump some input variables */
FILE *ofp;
fprintf(ofp, "%s\n", "--- eval Called ---");
fprintf(ofp, "nArgs\t\t = %d\nblockSize\t = %d", nArgs, blockSize);

// write the particle indices to file
fprintf(ofp, "\nindices\t\t = ");
for (i = 0; i < blockSize; i++) {
fprintf(ofp, "%.0f\t\t", inReal[1][i]);
}

// write the numbers of collisions to file
fprintf(ofp, "\ncollisions\t = ");
fprintf(ofp, "%.0f\t\t", inReal[2][i]);
}

// write the input velocities to file
fprintf(ofp, "\ninReal[0]\t = ");
fprintf(ofp, "%f ", inReal[0][i]);
}

//randomize the velocity of each colliding particle

/*set the current particle index and the number of
collisions the current particle has seen */
idx = inReal[1][i];

/*seed the random number generator with a function of
the particle index and the number of collisions
so that each particle gets a unique sequence of random
numbers each time it collides */
thisIdx = idx + inReal[2][i];
srand((thisIdx+8971)*(thisIdx+8971));

/*set the output velocity to a random number between
0 and 10 */
r = rand()%10000;
outReal[i] = r/1000.0;
}

// write the output velocities to file
fprintf(ofp, "\noutReal\t\t = ");
fprintf(ofp, "%f ", outReal[i]);
}

//add a blank line at the end of the file and close it
fprintf(ofp, "\n");
fclose(ofp);

return 1;
}

//if COMSOL called the wrong function, say so and return
else {
error = "Unknown function";
return 0;
}

}

#ifdef __cplusplus
} // __cplusplus defined.
#endif
In case it's interesting to others, the resolution to this problem is that COMSOL does not pass velocities for all particles to the external function, it only passes velocities for those particles which had a collision during the last timestep. If you pass cpt.idx along with your velocities, COMSOL is smart enough to only pass the indices that are relevant and all the vectors it passes are ordered such that the subset of cpt.idx properly indexes the other vectors. The following C++ code will take some arguments from the charged particle tracing module and randomize one velocity component. It writes all the input and output variables to a file called variableStates so you can see what's going on under the hood. Edit: sorry about the formatting - I can't figure out how to get the forum to keep spaces or tabs at the beginning of lines. #include #include #include #include #ifdef _MSC_VER #define EXPORT __declspec(dllexport) #else #define EXPORT #endif #ifdef __cplusplus extern "C" { #endif static const char *error = NULL; EXPORT int init(const char *str) { /*open a file and write a line indicating that the function init has been called */ FILE *ofp; char outputFilename[] = "variableStates"; ofp = fopen(outputFilename, "a"); fprintf(ofp, "%s\n", "--- init Called ---"); //done with that, close the file fclose(ofp); return 1; } EXPORT const char * getLastError() { /*open a file and write a line indicating that the function getLastError has been called */ FILE *ofp; char outputFilename[] = "variableStates"; ofp = fopen(outputFilename, "a"); fprintf(ofp, "%s\n", "--- getLastError Called ---"); //done with that, close the file fclose(ofp); return error; } double sq(const double x){ //this is a function that squares its argument return x*x; } EXPORT int eval(const char *func, int nArgs, const double **inReal, const double **inImag, int blockSize, double *outReal, double *outImag) { /* required arguments: cartesian velocity (cpt.vx, cpt.vy, or cpt.vz) cpt.pidx cpt.Nc_ecX where X is a sequential index for each elastic collision force node in the Charged Particle Tracing module */ int i, idx, thisIdx, r; double x; //check if COMSOL asked for the right function if (strcmp("ext12", func) == 0) { /*check if COMSOL passed the right number of arguments and return if it didn't */ if (nArgs != 3) { error = "Two arguments expected"; return 0; } /*open a file and write a line indicating that the function eval has been called, then dump some input variables */ FILE *ofp; char outputFilename[] = "variableStates"; ofp = fopen(outputFilename, "a"); fprintf(ofp, "%s\n", "--- eval Called ---"); fprintf(ofp, "nArgs\t\t = %d\nblockSize\t = %d", nArgs, blockSize); // write the particle indices to file fprintf(ofp, "\nindices\t\t = "); for (i = 0; i < blockSize; i++) { fprintf(ofp, "%.0f\t\t", inReal[1][i]); } // write the numbers of collisions to file fprintf(ofp, "\ncollisions\t = "); for (i = 0; i < blockSize; i++) { fprintf(ofp, "%.0f\t\t", inReal[2][i]); } // write the input velocities to file fprintf(ofp, "\ninReal[0]\t = "); for (i = 0; i < blockSize; i++) { fprintf(ofp, "%f ", inReal[0][i]); } //randomize the velocity of each colliding particle for (i = 0; i < blockSize; i++) { /*set the current particle index and the number of collisions the current particle has seen */ idx = inReal[1][i]; /*seed the random number generator with a function of the particle index and the number of collisions so that each particle gets a unique sequence of random numbers each time it collides */ thisIdx = idx + inReal[2][i]; srand((thisIdx+8971)*(thisIdx+8971)); /*set the output velocity to a random number between 0 and 10 */ r = rand()%10000; outReal[i] = r/1000.0; } // write the output velocities to file fprintf(ofp, "\noutReal\t\t = "); for (i = 0; i < blockSize; i++) { fprintf(ofp, "%f ", outReal[i]); } //add a blank line at the end of the file and close it fprintf(ofp, "\n"); fclose(ofp); return 1; } //if COMSOL called the wrong function, say so and return else { error = "Unknown function"; return 0; } } #ifdef __cplusplus } // __cplusplus defined. #endif

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.