Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Membrane modelling

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

HI
I am trying to model the effect of an external electrical field on a cell membrane. I believe that the most suitable boundary condition of the cell domain (cell-electrolyte interface) is the contact impedance , but there are two options for this boundary condition, Thin layer and surface impedance. What is the difference between these options? and what is more accurate?
Thanks

4 Replies Last Post Aug 18, 2014, 2:23 a.m. EDT

Posted: 10 years ago Aug 14, 2014, 9:20 a.m. EDT
Also how do I find the difference of potential over this boundary . I was looking I found that there is an UP an down operator which I could use but I get a syntax error when write it as an expression. The only possible options I could see for this boundary were : Average, minimum , maximum and integral. Can someone please advise ?
Also how do I find the difference of potential over this boundary . I was looking I found that there is an UP an down operator which I could use but I get a syntax error when write it as an expression. The only possible options I could see for this boundary were : Average, minimum , maximum and integral. Can someone please advise ?

Posted: 10 years ago Aug 15, 2014, 4:36 a.m. EDT
Are you modeling electrostatics or transport?
Are you modeling electrostatics or transport?

Posted: 10 years ago Aug 15, 2014, 10:18 p.m. EDT
I am modellling electrostatics

Posted: 10 years ago Aug 18, 2014, 2:23 a.m. EDT

Without knowing your model I cannot give an answer, but if the membrane is between, say, two aqueous domains you do not necessarily need to define any boundary conditions at all, only define material constants for the membrane (or charge density etc.). When crossing a phase boundary, the continuity of electric displacement is the boundary condition, but I guess that Comsol takes care of that automatically.

Lasse
[QUOTE] I am modellling electrostatics [/QUOTE] Without knowing your model I cannot give an answer, but if the membrane is between, say, two aqueous domains you do not necessarily need to define any boundary conditions at all, only define material constants for the membrane (or charge density etc.). When crossing a phase boundary, the continuity of electric displacement is the boundary condition, but I guess that Comsol takes care of that automatically. Lasse

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.