Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Modeling a Gaussian beam

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone,

could somebody explain to me why in the COMSOL example "Nanorods" the equation for the incoming electric field (a z-polarized gaussian beam in 2D) reads
sqrt(w0/w(y))*exp(-(x/w(y))^2)*exp(j*k*x^2/(2*R(y)))*exp(j*(k*y-0.5 atan(y/z0)))
which is different from the usual definition of a gaussian beam (e.g. on wikipedia) by a square root ( "sqrt(w0/w(y))" instead of "w0/w(y)" and a factor in front of the "atan(y/z0)"?

In the example "Second harmonic generation of a gaussian beam" they use the same definition (but in the time domain).

Thank you for your help!

2 Replies Last Post Sep 2, 2014, 6:31 a.m. EDT
Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 10 years ago Aug 28, 2014, 9:02 a.m. EDT
Hi Frederik,

The equation COMSOL uses is for a “2D Gaussian Beam” – one that satisfies the wave equation for a 2D geometry as described in the “Second Harmonic Generation from a Gaussian Beam” COMSOL model.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
Hi Frederik, The equation COMSOL uses is for a “2D Gaussian Beam” – one that satisfies the wave equation for a 2D geometry as described in the “Second Harmonic Generation from a Gaussian Beam” COMSOL model. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 10 years ago Sep 2, 2014, 6:31 a.m. EDT
Thanks for your help! Could you point me to a (non-comsol) source for this? Somehow I wasn't able to find a derivation in 2d.

EDIT: Ah, now I see how it works :) thanks!
Thanks for your help! Could you point me to a (non-comsol) source for this? Somehow I wasn't able to find a derivation in 2d. EDIT: Ah, now I see how it works :) thanks!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.