Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Semiconductor photoelectrolysis

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am hoping to model a photoelectrochemical cell in which a semiconductor working electrode (e.g. InP) is used in conjunction with a counter electrode (e.g. Pt) which under the influence of solar irradiation can split water into hydrogen and oxygen.

I'm struggling to think of where to start with this problem; the examples provided in the electrochemistry module are too simplistic as I need to gain an insight into where band edges within the semiconductor sit relative to oxygen- and hydrogen-production potentials in the electrolyte.

A Schottky junction (band bending) is formed at the semiconductor electrode - electrolyte interface and illumination should (in theory) flatten this band bending by the photogeneration of charge carriers in the depletion region formed by said bending. I would ideally like to model the extent of this band bending under varying illumination.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to start or ideas/thoughts about the aims in general? Any help greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,
Sam

2 Replies Last Post Dec 4, 2014, 11:11 a.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Samuel Harrison

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 10 years ago Dec 3, 2014, 8:45 p.m. EST
Hi Sam,

I am trying to solve for fields outside the semiconductor. Did you have any success of coupling semiconductor with electrochemistry/electrostatics module ?

Kind regards,
Michal
Hi Sam, I am trying to solve for fields outside the semiconductor. Did you have any success of coupling semiconductor with electrochemistry/electrostatics module ? Kind regards, Michal

Posted: 10 years ago Dec 4, 2014, 11:11 a.m. EST
Hi Michal,

I'm afraid I didn't have any success in the end, but I'd be interested to hear if you have any success with your project!

Sam
Hi Michal, I'm afraid I didn't have any success in the end, but I'd be interested to hear if you have any success with your project! Sam

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.