Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Cannot get temperature dependent coefficient of thermal expansion (CTE) to work. Please help

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I'm having an issue simulating time dependent CTEs. This is a classic problem. There's a thin film on top of a bulk substrate, each having different CTEs. The difference in CTEs should induce a stress when undergoing a temperature difference. I went under material properties and changed my CTE to 2e-6*T for the top film and 1e-6 for the bottom film (so the top film is temperature dependent and the bottom is constant). When I compute I get a result but it's not what I expecting. I'm not sure if I'm simulating the experiment incorrectly or if my hand calculations are wrong. Any ideas?

I want to simulate the structure going from 100 K to 0 K.

I'm new to COMSOL so I'm not sure if my thinking was right but I set the initial value to 100 K and I set all the boundaries to 0 K so for a stationary study I think the final resulting stress is when the structure comes to the final temperature of 0 K.

I'm attaching the file. Thank you.

1 Reply Last Post Oct 11, 2014, 11:35 p.m. EDT

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 10 years ago Oct 11, 2014, 11:35 p.m. EDT
file attached
file attached

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.