Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

joule heating

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

im new to comsol and my work is to design a heating element by applying electric potential and it is time dependent,,according to my model,heat should dissipiate in ceryain marts,i have used kanthal 1800.i am facing negative temperature profile and heat is not dissipiating ..please help me with this probem,,thank u in advance

3 Replies Last Post Oct 17, 2014, 2:25 a.m. EDT

Posted: 10 years ago Oct 16, 2014, 9:47 a.m. EDT
Hello,

Which is the dimension of your model?

You can use 'ec' or 'mf' if you are in 2 D axy with a Kanthal resistor looks like a coil.
Resolve ACDC simulation only on Kanthal Domain. Use a term source in heat transfer physic from ACDC simulation.

Apply the good boundary condition in heat transfer like surface-to-surface radiation, heat flux...

Post a smple version of your model if you have problem again

Julien
Hello, Which is the dimension of your model? You can use 'ec' or 'mf' if you are in 2 D axy with a Kanthal resistor looks like a coil. Resolve ACDC simulation only on Kanthal Domain. Use a term source in heat transfer physic from ACDC simulation. Apply the good boundary condition in heat transfer like surface-to-surface radiation, heat flux... Post a smple version of your model if you have problem again Julien

Posted: 10 years ago Oct 17, 2014, 1:23 a.m. EDT
thank u for your reply
I have used joule heating physics.i have a problem in uploading my 3D model since it has 1.45gb memory. To state my model simply,it is has a cylndrical rod surrounded by a block,i have supplied with a electric potential of 230V at one end of cylinder and ground at other end.
cylinder -kanthal 1800
block-stainless steel 316 grade.
i need the heat should diddipate from the rod and spread over the block,
could you lease help me ...thanks and thanks a lot in dvance
thank u for your reply I have used joule heating physics.i have a problem in uploading my 3D model since it has 1.45gb memory. To state my model simply,it is has a cylndrical rod surrounded by a block,i have supplied with a electric potential of 230V at one end of cylinder and ground at other end. cylinder -kanthal 1800 block-stainless steel 316 grade. i need the heat should diddipate from the rod and spread over the block, could you lease help me ...thanks and thanks a lot in dvance

Posted: 10 years ago Oct 17, 2014, 2:25 a.m. EDT
Hi

You can attach your file without mesh and results for decrease its size. Edition -> clear all mesh & clear all solutions and save. Try to post it again.
The better is to begin with a 2d or 2d axy problem when you don't know how to solve a problem
I need to know what is around your block, because radiation transfer are often the most important losses.
Draw a sketch at least with all elements of your problem.

Julien
Hi You can attach your file without mesh and results for decrease its size. Edition -> clear all mesh & clear all solutions and save. Try to post it again. The better is to begin with a 2d or 2d axy problem when you don't know how to solve a problem I need to know what is around your block, because radiation transfer are often the most important losses. Draw a sketch at least with all elements of your problem. Julien

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.