Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Transient electric field under impulse voltage with nonlinear materials

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I am trying to model a nonlinear permittivity material in a cable termination under impulse voltage using Version 5. I used AC/DC module electric currents (ec) and electrical circuit (cir) to produce impulse voltage, and used an analytic function to define the relative permittivity as a function of electric stress (ec.normE). When I run it, I got the following error message.

Attempt to evaluate negative power of zero.
- Function: ^
Failed to evaluate temporary symbolic derivative variable.
- Variable: comp1.ec.normE@VDN$t@VDN${conj@8}
- Defined as: ((((realdot(comp1.ec.Er,comp1.ec.Er)+realdot(comp1.ec.Ez,comp1.ec.Ez))^(-0.5))*0.5)*(((-(comp1.Vrt)))+((-(comp1.Vrt)))))
- Variable: comp1.ec.epsilonrrr@VDN$t@VDN${conj@8}
- Defined as: (dcomp1.mat5.def.Dk1_dDk1__x__internalArgument(((comp1.ec.normE*unit_m_cf)/unit_V_cf))*((1/unit_V_cf)*(unit_m_cf*(((((realdot(comp1.ec.Er,comp1.ec.Er)+realdot(comp1.ec.Ez,comp1.ec.Ez))^(-0.5))*0.5)*(((-(comp1.Vrt)))+((-(comp1.Vrt)))))))))
- Variable: comp1.ec.chirr@VDN$t@VDN${conj@8}
- Defined as: ((dcomp1.mat5.def.Dk1_dDk1__x__internalArgument(((comp1.ec.normE*unit_m_cf)/unit_V_cf))*((1/unit_V_cf)*(unit_m_cf*(((((realdot(comp1.ec.Er,comp1.ec.Er)+realdot(comp1.ec.Ez,comp1.ec.Ez))^(-0.5))*0.5)*(((-(comp1.Vrt)))+((-(comp1.Vrt))))))))))
- Variable: comp1.ec.Pr@VDN$t@VDN${conj@8}
- Defined as: (comp1.ec.Er*(epsilon0_const*(((dcomp1.mat5.def.Dk1_dDk1__x__internalArgument(((comp1.ec.normE*unit_m_cf)/unit_V_cf))*((1/unit_V_cf)*(unit_m_cf*(((((realdot(comp1.ec.Er,comp1.ec.Er)+realdot(comp1.ec.Ez,comp1.ec.Ez))^(-0.5))*0.5)*(((-(comp1.Vrt)))+((-(comp1.Vrt)))))))))))))
- Variable: comp1.ec.Dr@VDN$t@VDN${conj@8}
- Defined as: ((comp1.ec.Er*(epsilon0_const*(((dcomp1.mat5.def.Dk1_dDk1__x__internalArgument(((comp1.ec.normE*unit_m_cf)/unit_V_cf))*((1/unit_V_cf)*(unit_m_cf*(((((realdot(comp1.ec.Er,comp1.ec.Er)+realdot(comp1.ec.Ez,comp1.ec.Ez))^(-0.5))*0.5)*(((-(comp1.Vrt)))+((-(comp1.Vrt))))))))))))))
- Variable: comp1.ec.Jdr@VDN${conj@8}
- Defined as: (((comp1.ec.Er*(epsilon0_const*(((dcomp1.mat5.def.Dk1_dDk1__x__internalArgument(((comp1.ec.normE*unit_m_cf)/unit_V_cf))*((1/unit_V_cf)*(unit_m_cf*(((((realdot(comp1.ec.Er,comp1.ec.Er)+realdot(comp1.ec.Ez,comp1.ec.Ez))^(-0.5))*0.5)*(((-(comp1.Vrt)))+((-(comp1.Vrt)))))))))))))))
- Variable: comp1.ec.Jr@VDN${conj@8}
- Defined as: ((((comp1.ec.Er*(epsilon0_const*(((dcomp1.mat5.def.Dk1_dDk1__x__internalArgument(((comp1.ec.normE*unit_m_cf)/unit_V_cf))*((1/unit_V_cf)*(unit_m_cf*(((((realdot(comp1.ec.Er,comp1.ec.Er)+realdot(comp1.ec.Ez,comp1.ec.Ez))^(-0.5))*0.5)*(((-(comp1.Vrt)))+((-(comp1.Vrt))))))))))))))))
Failed to evaluate expression.
- Expression: d(d((2*(comp1.ec.Jr*test(comp1.Vr)+comp1.ec.Jz*test(comp1.Vz))*comp1.ec.d*pi*r)*(dvol),{test@4}),{conj@8})
- Feature: Time-Dependent Solver 1 (sol1/t1)

Can anybody help me on the reason and solution? Thanks a lot.

PS: I run the same model with Electrostatics (es), that is DC, without any problem.

3 Replies Last Post Feb 17, 2015, 11:53 a.m. EST

Posted: 10 years ago Nov 14, 2014, 10:57 a.m. EST
I forgot to attach my file.

Can anybody help me please?
I forgot to attach my file. Can anybody help me please?

Posted: 9 years ago Jan 22, 2015, 8:31 a.m. EST
Hi,

You have expressions in Probes (temw.Er, and temw.Ez) which seem undefined. I suggest to change or disable them.

Apart from that, there's a problem with derivatives of certain expressions (at Material 5). You can avoid them with nojac() operator, in order to take them out of Jacobian. Particularly, you can replace Dk1(ec.normE) with nojac(Dk1(ec.normE)) for the relative permittivity of Material 5.

Also, there are two domains (1 and 4) which you don't solve. Is that your intention?

Jesus.
Hi, You have expressions in Probes (temw.Er, and temw.Ez) which seem undefined. I suggest to change or disable them. Apart from that, there's a problem with derivatives of certain expressions (at Material 5). You can avoid them with nojac() operator, in order to take them out of Jacobian. Particularly, you can replace Dk1(ec.normE) with nojac(Dk1(ec.normE)) for the relative permittivity of Material 5. Also, there are two domains (1 and 4) which you don't solve. Is that your intention? Jesus.

Posted: 9 years ago Feb 17, 2015, 11:53 a.m. EST
Hi Jesus,

It works. Thank you very much.
Hi Jesus, It works. Thank you very much.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.