Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Adding a metal mesh to a cavity in the Acoustics Module

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I'm simulating sound propagation in a cavity, studying resonant frequencies of the cavity and Q-values (total energy stored basically).

We want a low-Q system, and one idea is to add a metal mesh into the system at a specific point. I'd like to model this in COMSOL, but physically adding a mesh to the Geometry sounds like the wrong way to do it. I'd need to have a super fine FEA mesh and it would take forever and a day to model it.

Is that something the poroacoustic module can do, providing I can get the correct parameters?

Or could I just add an acoustic impedance at an internal boundary? I should be able to measure the impedance by creating a new model of just a tube with the mesh in there, like in one of the tutorial models.

Does that sound reasonable?

Thank you.

0 Replies Last Post Dec 5, 2014, 2:52 p.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Damian Rivas

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.