Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Error trying to simulate MEMS display (Constraint found for variables in different Segregated groups. Try to merge these groups.)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello all,

I am working on simulating a very simple MEMS micromirror display for a class. After fighting with the Electromechanics Module for some time, I was finally able to constrain everything the way that I wanted it.

The mirror assembly with the cantilevers attached to it is supposed to be grounded, and the block under it is the terminal where I will apply voltage to bring the micromirror down.

However, when I try to solve the stationary solver, I get this error, "Constraint found for variables in different Segregated groups. Try to merge these groups.". I have no idea what this means and I have a feeling I constrained something incorrectly but I have absolutely no idea what it could be.

I've attached the model file. Any information will help.

1 Reply Last Post Jul 5, 2016, 11:37 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Ronan Rice

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 8 years ago Jul 5, 2016, 11:37 a.m. EDT
Hi,

The error you get means that the segregated solver implies that Comsol has split the dependent variables but your links make it coherent, so the solver proposes that you group them manually in one segregated solver. Another solution to this could be Add Fully coupled to the solver in order to automatically merge the dependent variables. Please note that in case the structure is complicated, the solver assumes constant Newton Raphson solver, in that case, changed it to Automatic (highly nonlinear). Hope it helps!
Hi, The error you get means that the segregated solver implies that Comsol has split the dependent variables but your links make it coherent, so the solver proposes that you group them manually in one segregated solver. Another solution to this could be Add Fully coupled to the solver in order to automatically merge the dependent variables. Please note that in case the structure is complicated, the solver assumes constant Newton Raphson solver, in that case, changed it to Automatic (highly nonlinear). Hope it helps!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.