Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Phase change in Metals (heat of mixing alloys) !!!

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everybody,

I am trying to model a dissolution of Sn (or any metal) into a bath of liquid Ti (or any other metal). So far I have made very nice models of temperature profile (stationary and time-dependent). However, now I am interested in the solid/liquid interface (S/L) to see the heat transfer behavior during phase change. I am most interested in the heat of mixing (Enthalpy of mixing) of 2 different metals, I am not sure if it could be calculated by Comsol, but at least, I want to make an approach watching heat flux behavior.

I took the phase change model (Tin melting front) from model Libraries, but I changed the liquid phase from Sn to Ti and I established different conditions, in order to make my own model. However it shows me this error that I dont know how to fix it......please help !!! (see my attached file)

Repeated error test failures. May have reached a singularity.
Time : 0
Last time step is not converged.
- Feature: Time-Dependent Solver 1 (sol1/t1)

Thanks in advance
Michael

1 Reply Last Post Jan 14, 2015, 4:44 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 10 years ago Jan 14, 2015, 4:44 a.m. EST
Hi

I do not have access to my COMSOL workstation just now, but as your error message says, "time = 0" => initials conditions, then "Cannot converge" convergence issue. So I would guess that your initial conditions are too far from a stable solution. Perhaps you should start with a stationary solver step, and start your time series with the initial conditions from the stationary solution

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I do not have access to my COMSOL workstation just now, but as your error message says, "time = 0" => initials conditions, then "Cannot converge" convergence issue. So I would guess that your initial conditions are too far from a stable solution. Perhaps you should start with a stationary solver step, and start your time series with the initial conditions from the stationary solution -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.