Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Impedance calculation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

In a 2D axisymmetric model using MEF physics, I have a simple RLC coil group. I'm interested in both the inductance and capacitance of the coil.

COMSOL provides mef.LCoil_1 as a global post-processing value, but does not provide capacitance as a post-processing value. No problem, I figure I'll just calculate it using

C = 2*intWe/(mef.VCoil_1^2)

Naturally, I decided to double-check the inductance value using

L = 2*intWm/(mef.ICoil_1^2)

but this gives exactly 1/2 the value mef.LCoil_1 provides. So can someone help me with the missing factor of 2?

1 Reply Last Post Jan 30, 2015, 1:49 p.m. EST

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 9 years ago Jan 30, 2015, 1:49 p.m. EST
Okay, I figured it out. Because these are AC fields, not DC, the energy is time averaged. The average field is the RMS amplitude (1/sqrt(2)). The energy goes as the average field squared, and thus a factor of 1/2 from the DC formulation.
Okay, I figured it out. Because these are AC fields, not DC, the energy is time averaged. The average field is the RMS amplitude (1/sqrt(2)). The energy goes as the average field squared, and thus a factor of 1/2 from the DC formulation.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.