Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Syngas Combustion in a Round-Jet Burner

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I appreciate the help and the terrific model in the COMSOL gallery(Model ID: 14881). I have worked the example and need to make altercations in the problem to fit my modeling need. Everything is very clearly described in the accompanying file (.pdf) except I need a reference for the portion of the model that explains the heat source1, API or where those terms are located in the COMSOL introduction guide?

Under heat source1 is found this input for q:

-(dH_R1*rspf.rEDC_treac1+dH_R2*rspf.rEDC_treac2)

I infer that (rspf) is the model physics reacting flow (rspf) and that the .r is refering to the geometry of the problem (the radial position). I do not know what EDC means; _t means (time for the t). I assume reac1 and reac2 are the two reactions listed under reacting flow.

In my case I have changed the flow to laminar (for which it is in my case in a MEMs burner) and solve a problem with four reactions and have correctly input the dH_1 through dH_4 values (the concentration profile and fluid profile solve seamlessly without the heat transfer physics being added or the heat source 1 included), but do not know how to call the same function for 2D (rectangular geometry without any symmetry, (x,y)).

I tried:
-(dH_R1*rspf.x_yreac1+dH_R2*rspf.x_yreac2...)
Ouch...

Thank you very much for the help, I appreciate your infinitely superior expertise with COMSOL,
Justin

1 Reply Last Post Feb 10, 2015, 5:06 a.m. EST

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 9 years ago Feb 10, 2015, 5:06 a.m. EST
Hi,

Here "rspf.rEDC_treac1" stands for reaction rate for reaction one by Eddy Dissipation Model (formula 4 in pdf). This is only valid for turbulent flows, not laminar. This reaction rate can be used in 2D, 2D-axi and 3D models. For laminar flow you have to use reaction rate by Arrhennius formulas.

Check these:

www.comsol.com/model/packed-bed-reactor-238
www.comsol.com/model/chemical-reactions-and-soot-build-up-in-a-diesel-filter-1394

Best regards

Tero Hietanen
Hi, Here "rspf.rEDC_treac1" stands for reaction rate for reaction one by Eddy Dissipation Model (formula 4 in pdf). This is only valid for turbulent flows, not laminar. This reaction rate can be used in 2D, 2D-axi and 3D models. For laminar flow you have to use reaction rate by Arrhennius formulas. Check these: http://www.comsol.com/model/packed-bed-reactor-238 http://www.comsol.com/model/chemical-reactions-and-soot-build-up-in-a-diesel-filter-1394 Best regards Tero Hietanen

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.