Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Current density in z-axis direction for 2D modeling of thin filaments

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone,

I have a question concerning modeling current density in thin, short filaments on thion films. Attached is a 3D model of my filaments, which is for visualization of my query, and the 2D model is what I would like to simulate. Essentially, the 2D model is a cross-section of the 3D model. The model is two filaments on a Si wafer which is coated with SiO2. In addition, one of the filaments is on a polymer (PMMA) film. When the same current is passed through both filaments, the one on the polymer should become hotter, as the heat conductivity of the polymer layer is not as good as that directly on the SiO2.

My question is this: both filaments are to carry the same current of 100mA. I am not sure how to communicate this to COMSOL in the 2D model, as COMSOL requires a current density vector, which I tried, however, the filament did not heat up at all. How do I model this "out of plane" current (in z-axis direction) in COMSOL? When I simply put a heat source in the boundary layer (see right-hand-side filament in 2D model), heat conduction works fine, however this is not the case for the left filament, where I tried to model the Joule heating of the filament.

Cheers,

Kevin

0 Replies Last Post Jun 11, 2010, 8:01 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Kevin Schädler

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.