Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Modeling dielectric material

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I'm attempting to a model a high voltage test chamber where the top and bottom of the chamber are the bias and ground electrodes and the walls of the chamber are quartz cylinder tube with 6mm thick walls. I'm confused as to boundary conditions I should set for the quartz. I'd assume that the field inside the quartz should be related to the ratio of the permittivity of the quartz and free space, but the simulation shows no field in the quartz. I've defined the quartz as dielectric shielding and with the zero charge boundary conditions, both result in no field in the quartz. However, the zero charge looks closer to my physical intuition of what should happen.

Any ideas on how to define the quartz?

1 Reply Last Post Mar 9, 2015, 4:52 p.m. EDT
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 9 years ago Mar 9, 2015, 4:52 p.m. EDT
Robert,

you don't need a specific boundary condition. Just set the material properties in the quartz domain.

Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Robert, you don't need a specific boundary condition. Just set the material properties in the quartz domain. Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.