Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

heat transfer influids

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,
I did an experiment in labaratory, and now try to model it in Comsol. I had an ice "dumbbell", filled with water in gaps (in comsol i use simmetry). Insulation was everywhere, except ice surface. Temperature of ice before experiment was -6 degC, and air temperature at ice surface was the same during the whole experiment. Initial temperature of water was near the freezing point. The aim was to obtain how ice would grow and compare with results from Comsol.

I haven't succeeded with my simulation, I always get the error with 'reaching a singularity'. Could you please have a look?

Daria,

4 Replies Last Post Mar 25, 2015, 10:09 a.m. EDT
Erlend Kristiansen COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago Mar 25, 2015, 8:57 a.m. EDT
Hi,

to be served by the support staff of COMSOL, you should post your question to support@comsol.com. This is only a user-based discussion forum.

Regards,
Erlend (COMSOL Norway)
Hi, to be served by the support staff of COMSOL, you should post your question to support@comsol.com. This is only a user-based discussion forum. Regards, Erlend (COMSOL Norway)

Posted: 9 years ago Mar 25, 2015, 9:22 a.m. EDT
Hi,

I don't understand your symetry axis.
Can you draw a sketch of the whole system without symetry?

Julien
Hi, I don't understand your symetry axis. Can you draw a sketch of the whole system without symetry? Julien

Posted: 9 years ago Mar 25, 2015, 9:36 a.m. EDT
Hi,
of course

Daria
Hi, of course Daria

Posted: 9 years ago Mar 25, 2015, 10:09 a.m. EDT
Ok I understand now.

Corners give singularities, because two melting surfaces are very close. If you had an ice balls it would be easier!
Play with mesh, timestep, the way dg compute the deformation (laplace, winslow...)
Try to add smoothing velocity under the interface boundary condition.
Try to play with the max time step also. Lot of things to try, the mesh is the most important.

Julien
Ok I understand now. Corners give singularities, because two melting surfaces are very close. If you had an ice balls it would be easier! Play with mesh, timestep, the way dg compute the deformation (laplace, winslow...) Try to add smoothing velocity under the interface boundary condition. Try to play with the max time step also. Lot of things to try, the mesh is the most important. Julien

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.