Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Small changes in size introduce a "divergence cleaning" error

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I'm trying to model magnetic field around a stationary uniform current density. Check the attached file.

The model is really simple: two concentric cylinders both with height "len" and the bigger one has radius "len" and smaller one has radius "len/10".

Now the bizarre thing is that when the parameter "len" is about 300 nm or higher, then everything works well. When len is less than 200 nm, I always get the "Divergence cleaning failed for linear system." error. When len is between 200 and 300, it sometimes gives the error and sometimes it doesn't.

Tweaking the external current density and conductivity didn't change the behavior.

What could cause this error? How could I fix it? I need to do similar simulations to this in length scales of about ~5 nm.

1 Reply Last Post Apr 4, 2015, 12:23 p.m. EDT

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 9 years ago Apr 4, 2015, 12:23 p.m. EDT
Ok, apparently using the "Gauge fixing for A field" for all domains and a direct solver solves this problem. Some other options/solutions may be found here: www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/16196/

But I'm still a bit confused why the error would depend on the size of the geometry like that with the default iterative solver.
Ok, apparently using the "Gauge fixing for A field" for all domains and a direct solver solves this problem. Some other options/solutions may be found here: http://www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/16196/ But I'm still a bit confused why the error would depend on the size of the geometry like that with the default iterative solver.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.