Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to get the derivative of stress along r direction in 2-D axisymmetric model

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I found if I use 'd(solid.pm,r)' to calculate the derivative of pressure along the r direction, the result is very weird, like the Figure 1.
However, the 'd(solid.pm,z)' can give me the right distribution of derivative of pressure along the Z axis. as shown in the Figure 2.
Can anybody tell me the reason?

10 Replies Last Post Apr 21, 2015, 5:16 p.m. EDT

Posted: 9 years ago Apr 8, 2015, 10:59 a.m. EDT
It seems all derivative of variables along radius direction in solid mechanics modula can not be show appropriately.
It seems all derivative of variables along radius direction in solid mechanics modula can not be show appropriately.

Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago Apr 8, 2015, 12:06 p.m. EDT
Hi,

In axial symmetry, the analytical expression for the strain in the circumferential direction is

When the radius approaches zero (on the z-axis) this expression becomes problematic from the numerical point of view.

So when you take a derivative of the stress, the underlying operation will be to compute the r-derivative of the expression above. This is why you see disturbances close to the z-axis. The result will be very sensitive to the mesh size at small r-coordinates.

In the formulation. we do take measures to avoid zero-divide in the strain itself, but that does not protect against taking derivatives of it.

Regards,
Henrik
Hi, In axial symmetry, the analytical expression for the strain in the circumferential direction is [MATH] \epsilon_{\theta} = \frac{u_r}{r} [/MATH] When the radius approaches zero (on the z-axis) this expression becomes problematic from the numerical point of view. So when you take a derivative of the stress, the underlying operation will be to compute the r-derivative of the expression above. This is why you see disturbances close to the z-axis. The result will be very sensitive to the mesh size at small r-coordinates. In the formulation. we do take measures to avoid zero-divide in the strain itself, but that does not protect against taking derivatives of it. Regards, Henrik

Posted: 9 years ago Apr 8, 2015, 1:31 p.m. EDT
Hi Henrik,

Thanks so much for your explanation. Now I understand why disturbances will appear when close to the z-axis.

As you mentioned, Comsol takes measures to avoid zero-divide in the strain itself in that formulation while does not protect against taking derivatives of it. However, if I want to take derivatives of it, are there any methods to avoid this disturbance? Thanks you!

Best,
Rong
Hi Henrik, Thanks so much for your explanation. Now I understand why disturbances will appear when close to the z-axis. As you mentioned, Comsol takes measures to avoid zero-divide in the strain itself in that formulation while does not protect against taking derivatives of it. However, if I want to take derivatives of it, are there any methods to avoid this disturbance? Thanks you! Best, Rong

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 9 years ago Apr 9, 2015, 1:53 a.m. EDT
Hi

I would propose split your domain around r=0 i.e. at a r=r_min and have at least 3 elements along the radial direction in this small cercle.

Or just omit the central part at r<r_min from your model. remains to define what walie to put on r_min

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I would propose split your domain around r=0 i.e. at a r=r_min and have at least 3 elements along the radial direction in this small cercle. Or just omit the central part at r

Posted: 9 years ago Apr 9, 2015, 4:37 a.m. EDT
Hi,

I just realized the major issue here: The derivatives should be taken with respect to to 'R', not 'r'.

A quote from the user's guide:

"From a simulation perspective it is desirable to solve the equations of solid mechanics on a fixed domain, rather than on a domain that changes continuously with the deformation. In COMSOL Multiphysics this is achieved by defining a displacement field for every point in the solid, usually with components u, v, and w. At a given coordinate (X, Y, Z) in the reference configuration (on the left of Figure 2-4) the value of u describes the displacement of the point relative to its original position. Taking derivatives of the displacement with respect to X, Y, and Z enables the definition of a strain tensor, known as the Green-Lagrange strain (or material strain). This strain is defined in the reference or Lagrangian frame, with X, Y, and Z representing the coordinates in this frame. The displacement is considered as a function of the material coordinates (X, Y, Z), but it is not explicitly a function of the spatial coordinates (x, y, z). It is thus only possible to compute derivatives with respect to the material coordinates."

Regards,
Henrik
Hi, I just realized the major issue here: The derivatives should be taken with respect to to 'R', not 'r'. A quote from the user's guide: "From a simulation perspective it is desirable to solve the equations of solid mechanics on a fixed domain, rather than on a domain that changes continuously with the deformation. In COMSOL Multiphysics this is achieved by defining a displacement field for every point in the solid, usually with components u, v, and w. At a given coordinate (X, Y, Z) in the reference configuration (on the left of Figure 2-4) the value of u describes the displacement of the point relative to its original position. Taking derivatives of the displacement with respect to X, Y, and Z enables the definition of a strain tensor, known as the Green-Lagrange strain (or material strain). This strain is defined in the reference or Lagrangian frame, with X, Y, and Z representing the coordinates in this frame. The displacement is considered as a function of the material coordinates (X, Y, Z), but it is not explicitly a function of the spatial coordinates (x, y, z). It is thus only possible to compute derivatives with respect to the material coordinates." Regards, Henrik

Posted: 9 years ago Apr 9, 2015, 12:02 p.m. EDT

Hi Henrik,

Thanks so much. Now I can get right derivatives of stress with respect to R.

However, my problem is the coupling of diffusion and stress. In diffusion part, there is no material deformation. So I cannot get derivatives of concentration with respect to R. If I still used the derivatives of concentration with respect to r while the derivatives of stress with respect to R, I think there mush be some problems. Do you have some advices?

Best,
Rong
Hi Henrik, Thanks so much. Now I can get right derivatives of stress with respect to R. However, my problem is the coupling of diffusion and stress. In diffusion part, there is no material deformation. So I cannot get derivatives of concentration with respect to R. If I still used the derivatives of concentration with respect to r while the derivatives of stress with respect to R, I think there mush be some problems. Do you have some advices? Best, Rong

Posted: 9 years ago Apr 9, 2015, 12:03 p.m. EDT
Hi Ivar,

I think your method is a good way to deal with the singularity near the axis. I will try it! Thanks so much.

Best,
Rong
Hi Ivar, I think your method is a good way to deal with the singularity near the axis. I will try it! Thanks so much. Best, Rong

Posted: 9 years ago Apr 13, 2015, 7:58 a.m. EDT
Hi,

As long as the deformations are not so large that there is a significant change in the geometry, there should not be any problem in mixing derivatives with respect to 'r' and 'R' as long as you respect the type of dependency that a certain variable has.

If the deformations are large, then several difficult aspects will arise. Some are:
a) the dependence of the diffusivity on strain
b) spatial and material orientations start to differ

Regards,
Henrik
Hi, As long as the deformations are not so large that there is a significant change in the geometry, there should not be any problem in mixing derivatives with respect to 'r' and 'R' as long as you respect the type of dependency that a certain variable has. If the deformations are large, then several difficult aspects will arise. Some are: a) the dependence of the diffusivity on strain b) spatial and material orientations start to differ Regards, Henrik

Posted: 9 years ago Apr 13, 2015, 10:58 p.m. EDT

Hi Henrik,

You are right, thanks so much. Now I can understand it.

Meanwhile, I have another question:

as you said, the derivatives of the deformation should be with respect to the material coordinate X,Y,Z, like d(u,X), d(u,Y). However, in my model, although there is a singularity in calculating d(u,r), I can still get the derivatives of the deformation with respect to the spatial coordinate z.

Moreover, I tried a 3D model and found I can get the derivatives of the deformation with respect to the spatial coordinate x,y, z.

I am a little confused about it. If you said the deformation should be with respect to the material coordinate, What is those derivatives I get? are there any relationship between d(u,x) and d(u,X)? Thanks!

Best,
Rong
Hi Henrik, You are right, thanks so much. Now I can understand it. Meanwhile, I have another question: as you said, the derivatives of the deformation should be with respect to the material coordinate X,Y,Z, like d(u,X), d(u,Y). However, in my model, although there is a singularity in calculating d(u,r), I can still get the derivatives of the deformation with respect to the spatial coordinate z. Moreover, I tried a 3D model and found I can get the derivatives of the deformation with respect to the spatial coordinate x,y, z. I am a little confused about it. If you said the deformation should be with respect to the material coordinate, What is those derivatives I get? are there any relationship between d(u,x) and d(u,X)? Thanks! Best, Rong

Posted: 9 years ago Apr 21, 2015, 5:16 p.m. EDT
Hi Henrik,

You are right, thanks so much. Now I can understand it.

Meanwhile, I have another question:

as you said, the derivatives of the deformation should be with respect to the material coordinate X,Y,Z, like d(u,X), d(u,Y). However, in my model, although there is a singularity in calculating d(u,r), I can still get the derivatives of the deformation with respect to the spatial coordinate z.

Moreover, I tried a 3D model and found I can get the derivatives of the deformation with respect to the spatial coordinate x,y, z.

I am a little confused about it. If you said the deformation should be with respect to the material coordinate, What is those derivatives I get? are there any relationship between d(u,x) and d(u,X)? Thanks!

Best,
Rong

Hi,

As long as the deformations are not so large that there is a significant change in the geometry, there should not be any problem in mixing derivatives with respect to 'r' and 'R' as long as you respect the type of dependency that a certain variable has.

If the deformations are large, then several difficult aspects will arise. Some are:
a) the dependence of the diffusivity on strain
b) spatial and material orientations start to differ

Regards,
Henrik

Hi Henrik, You are right, thanks so much. Now I can understand it. Meanwhile, I have another question: as you said, the derivatives of the deformation should be with respect to the material coordinate X,Y,Z, like d(u,X), d(u,Y). However, in my model, although there is a singularity in calculating d(u,r), I can still get the derivatives of the deformation with respect to the spatial coordinate z. Moreover, I tried a 3D model and found I can get the derivatives of the deformation with respect to the spatial coordinate x,y, z. I am a little confused about it. If you said the deformation should be with respect to the material coordinate, What is those derivatives I get? are there any relationship between d(u,x) and d(u,X)? Thanks! Best, Rong [QUOTE] Hi, As long as the deformations are not so large that there is a significant change in the geometry, there should not be any problem in mixing derivatives with respect to 'r' and 'R' as long as you respect the type of dependency that a certain variable has. If the deformations are large, then several difficult aspects will arise. Some are: a) the dependence of the diffusivity on strain b) spatial and material orientations start to differ Regards, Henrik [/QUOTE]

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.