Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Why the generated voltage is negative? (in a piezoelectric pressure sensor, frequency domain)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
I am using frequency domain study to analyse a piezo sensor. But it is so strange that in some frequencies the generated voltage is negative, while in other frequencies it is positive.
I do not understand why in frequency domain the sign will be different? What I applied is a 100 Pa pressure on the membrane.
Besides, the displace of the membrane is similar, in some frequencies negative, in some frequencies positive.
I think in frequency domain we enter the amplitude of a pressure, but why different frequencies give results with different signs?

Thanks!
Guofeng

2 Replies Last Post Apr 9, 2015, 3:25 p.m. EDT
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago Apr 8, 2015, 2:44 a.m. EDT
Hi,

The results of a frequency domain analysis are complex, and as a default you will see the real part of the result. A negative sign will thus mean that the quantity you are looking at is much out of phase with the load. To see that amplitude, plot abs(V) for example.

Regards,
Henrik
Hi, The results of a frequency domain analysis are complex, and as a default you will see the real part of the result. A negative sign will thus mean that the quantity you are looking at is much out of phase with the load. To see that amplitude, plot abs(V) for example. Regards, Henrik

Posted: 9 years ago Apr 9, 2015, 3:25 p.m. EDT
Thanks!!
Thanks!!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.