Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Stress Analysis after annealing

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

hi,I am a newcomer

I am doing a project .I need to anneal a silicon wafer first.
then how can I analyse the internal stress of the silicon wafer by comsol?

Thanks very much

Chang

6 Replies Last Post Apr 20, 2015, 4:26 a.m. EDT

Posted: 9 years ago Apr 19, 2015, 6:27 p.m. EDT
How does annealing affect the stress of a Si wafer? Is there an oxide layer formed? There needs to be some sort of structural change otherwise the wafer will elastically return to its original state when cooled.
How does annealing affect the stress of a Si wafer? Is there an oxide layer formed? There needs to be some sort of structural change otherwise the wafer will elastically return to its original state when cooled.

Posted: 9 years ago Apr 19, 2015, 10:24 p.m. EDT
sorry,it's my fault
actually the structure of the wafer is Au-alumina-Si
the thickness of the Au film is 50-100nm,
and I need to analyse the internal stress of the Au film after annealing

thanks for your reply
sorry,it's my fault actually the structure of the wafer is Au-alumina-Si the thickness of the Au film is 50-100nm, and I need to analyse the internal stress of the Au film after annealing thanks for your reply

Posted: 9 years ago Apr 19, 2015, 10:38 p.m. EDT
So the crystalline structure changes at temperature, for example grain growth in the gold resulting in tensile strain, then when it's cooled there's an additional stain from thermal mismatch? Or maybe there's viscoelastic flow in the Au layer which results in stress reduction at the anneal temperature which is then adjusted by thermal expansion mismatch? If so there I can't help you because I'm completely ignorant of any state change modeling in Comsol (I'm just learning how to use it myself). But maybe the support guys can help. I think the simplest approach would be to somehow set the stress state of the film (which would be biaxial if it's a planar film) at the critical temperature then reduce the temperature from there with the material then treated as a solid.
So the crystalline structure changes at temperature, for example grain growth in the gold resulting in tensile strain, then when it's cooled there's an additional stain from thermal mismatch? Or maybe there's viscoelastic flow in the Au layer which results in stress reduction at the anneal temperature which is then adjusted by thermal expansion mismatch? If so there I can't help you because I'm completely ignorant of any state change modeling in Comsol (I'm just learning how to use it myself). But maybe the support guys can help. I think the simplest approach would be to somehow set the stress state of the film (which would be biaxial if it's a planar film) at the critical temperature then reduce the temperature from there with the material then treated as a solid.

Posted: 9 years ago Apr 19, 2015, 10:57 p.m. EDT
appreciate for your reply anyway
appreciate for your reply anyway

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 9 years ago Apr 20, 2015, 2:10 a.m. EDT
Hi

there should be a Model library example of thermal stress from a bi-domain structure, and how to continue a study from the initial stress build-up. If I remember right define the geometry at the "hot" temperature, set the stress free Temperature to the "hot temperature", let cool down. then start a new study from the deformed/stressed cooled down state.

If you want to structure one layer, draw the structures and then turn the Young modulus down to "zero" via a variable and you will get the results, at best for a structured, pre-stressed system

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi there should be a Model library example of thermal stress from a bi-domain structure, and how to continue a study from the initial stress build-up. If I remember right define the geometry at the "hot" temperature, set the stress free Temperature to the "hot temperature", let cool down. then start a new study from the deformed/stressed cooled down state. If you want to structure one layer, draw the structures and then turn the Young modulus down to "zero" via a variable and you will get the results, at best for a structured, pre-stressed system -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 9 years ago Apr 20, 2015, 4:26 a.m. EDT
thanks

should the initial temperature be the annealing temperature?or the atmospheric temperature?
thanks should the initial temperature be the annealing temperature?or the atmospheric temperature?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.