Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Modeling a permanent magnet and a current carrying conductor

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello all,
I want to model a permanent magnet and a conductor which carries AC current. I want to see the magnitude of the lorentz force on the conductor and by using the structural (strain-stress) coupling I want to see the vibration of the current carrying conductor in the magnetic field of the permanent magnet .My question is that, what application mode I should select at the begining.By coupling Magnetostatics application mode and Solid Strain-Stress application mode, I was able to see the magnitude of lorentz force and the deformation of the conductor due to the lorentz force in case of DC current however I need to model the conductor carrying AC current so that I can make it vibrate in the magnetic field. Any idea?
P.S I am not electrical engineer and I am new to electromagnetic theory

1 Reply Last Post Sep 10, 2009, 7:56 p.m. EDT

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 10, 2009, 7:56 p.m. EDT
I have the similar questions. I was trying to use magnetostatics, vector potential and solid stress-strain modules...but didn't see any displacement on my magnet...I tried use Lorentz and surface stress to couple them...doesn't work
I have the similar questions. I was trying to use magnetostatics, vector potential and solid stress-strain modules...but didn't see any displacement on my magnet...I tried use Lorentz and surface stress to couple them...doesn't work

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.