Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

COMSOL version 4.4 floating potential boundary condition missing

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi I'm running an electric currents physics study and I want to apply a floating potential boundary condition. The version 4.3 manual says it exists but I can't find it in version 4.4. What's going on?

Thanks!
James

10 Replies Last Post Mar 14, 2016, 5:54 a.m. EDT
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago Apr 22, 2015, 2:16 p.m. EDT
Hi James,
The floating potential boundary condition is part of certain modules (AC/DC Module, MEMS Module and Plasma Module). If your 4.4 installation does not include any of those modules then that boundary condition would not be available to you. This may be the reason you're not seeing that BC. You can check which products are installed via File>Licensed and Used Products.
Best,
Jeff
Hi James, The floating potential boundary condition is part of certain modules (AC/DC Module, MEMS Module and Plasma Module). If your 4.4 installation does not include any of those modules then that boundary condition would not be available to you. This may be the reason you're not seeing that BC. You can check which products are installed via File>Licensed and Used Products. Best, Jeff

Posted: 9 years ago Apr 22, 2015, 4:09 p.m. EDT
Thanks Jeff!
Yeah I don't have the AC/DC module.

Is there a document somewhere that lists the differences in capabilities between the standard physics module and the AC/DC module?

James

Thanks Jeff! Yeah I don't have the AC/DC module. Is there a document somewhere that lists the differences in capabilities between the standard physics module and the AC/DC module? James

Posted: 9 years ago Apr 22, 2015, 4:50 p.m. EDT
Yes, the specification chart: www.comsol.com/products/specifications/
Please note on that page the tabs on the left that let you select between 11 different fields (AC/DC, Acoustics, etc).
Jeff
Yes, the specification chart: http://www.comsol.com/products/specifications/ Please note on that page the tabs on the left that let you select between 11 different fields (AC/DC, Acoustics, etc). Jeff

Posted: 9 years ago Jun 9, 2015, 6:37 a.m. EDT
Even if you don't have the ACDC module you can by yourself the floating potential condition
usin the method suggested in the attached paper of the Femlab time (3.0)!
I haved used it many times and works well.
Nice to help you Roberto
Even if you don't have the ACDC module you can by yourself the floating potential condition usin the method suggested in the attached paper of the Femlab time (3.0)! I haved used it many times and works well. Nice to help you Roberto

Posted: 9 years ago Jul 1, 2015, 10:37 a.m. EDT
Hi Roberto,

I too don't have the ACDC module. Would you be so kind as to describe a step by step procedure in order to incorporate this in COMSOL 5.0 (not Femlab)? I'm reading the user guide for the physic builder right now and it's far from being straightforward...

Thanks in advance for any help!

Best regards,
André.
Hi Roberto, I too don't have the ACDC module. Would you be so kind as to describe a step by step procedure in order to incorporate this in COMSOL 5.0 (not Femlab)? I'm reading the user guide for the physic builder right now and it's far from being straightforward... Thanks in advance for any help! Best regards, André.

Posted: 9 years ago Jul 2, 2015, 8:54 a.m. EDT
Hello Andre,
At version 5.1 (the current one) and 5.0 (the previous one), the floating potential boundary condition is available right out of the box in the AC/DC Module, the MEMS Module and the Plasma Module.
Best regards,
Jeff
Hello Andre, At version 5.1 (the current one) and 5.0 (the previous one), the floating potential boundary condition is available right out of the box in the AC/DC Module, the MEMS Module and the Plasma Module. Best regards, Jeff

Posted: 9 years ago Jul 2, 2015, 8:57 a.m. EDT
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the info but I don't have the AC/DC module (nor plasma and MEMS). Although, I have access to electrical current (ec) and electrostatic (es)... Therefore, I don't know how to proceed without the AC/DC module.

Thanks for your help.

Best regards,
André.
Hi Jeff, Thanks for the info but I don't have the AC/DC module (nor plasma and MEMS). Although, I have access to electrical current (ec) and electrostatic (es)... Therefore, I don't know how to proceed without the AC/DC module. Thanks for your help. Best regards, André.

Posted: 9 years ago Jul 2, 2015, 9:37 a.m. EDT
It sounds like you only have access to those capabilities found in the core COMSOL Multiphysics package. Please consider having one of those modules added to your license so you don't have to reinvent a feature that is now implemented in the software.
Jeff
It sounds like you only have access to those capabilities found in the core COMSOL Multiphysics package. Please consider having one of those modules added to your license so you don't have to reinvent a feature that is now implemented in the software. Jeff

Posted: 8 years ago Mar 13, 2016, 8:10 a.m. EDT
One big advantage that the AC/DC Floating Potential implementation has over a self-made one (like the one suggested by Roberto) is that it has a mode to treat disjoint boundaries as different electrodes. (There is a "Floating potential group" checkbox that needs to be checked to switch into this mode.) One can see in the Equation View, after running the solver, that it adds a separate potential and constraint for each electrode automatically. This makes it very simple for the user to create a large number of floating electrodes — as simple as selecting them all within a single Floating Potential node.

Implementing the equivalent using only the core Comsol, as far as I know, would entail creating a constraint for each electrode manually. In my case that would take an eternity, as I have a parametric geometry, some with possibly hundreds of electrodes. The best alternative would be to use the Java API and automate this process (the finalised geometry may be queried for adjacency information between boundaries to assign them to different electrode groups). While conceptually not too hard, this would take some work and would add a layer of awkwardness when it comes to merging changes done using the Comsol UI with the Java code. Comsol really needs a scripting language embedded. Until then, it's not so simple to replicate what the Floating Potential functionality does.
One big advantage that the AC/DC [b]Floating Potential[/b] implementation has over a self-made one (like the one suggested by Roberto) is that it has a mode to treat disjoint boundaries as different electrodes. (There is a "Floating potential group" checkbox that needs to be checked to switch into this mode.) One can see in the Equation View, after running the solver, that it adds a separate potential and constraint for each electrode automatically. This makes it very simple for the user to create a large number of floating electrodes — as simple as selecting them all within a single Floating Potential node. Implementing the equivalent using only the core Comsol, as far as I know, would entail creating a constraint for each electrode manually. In my case that would take an eternity, as I have a parametric geometry, some with possibly hundreds of electrodes. The best alternative would be to use the Java API and automate this process (the finalised geometry may be queried for adjacency information between boundaries to assign them to different electrode groups). While conceptually not too hard, this would take some work and would add a layer of awkwardness when it comes to merging changes done using the Comsol UI with the Java code. Comsol really needs a scripting language embedded. Until then, it's not so simple to replicate what the Floating Potential functionality does.

Posted: 8 years ago Mar 14, 2016, 5:54 a.m. EDT
My suggestion was devoted to people that can't afford the
extracost to buy the license for the ACDC module.
If the case, simple electrostatics problems can be solved using Laplace Equations node
of Classical PDE module.
Also the sef-made floating-pot. procedure, even if laborious, is rather instructive on the usage
of weak contributions to add to a generic set of PDE equation(s).
Best regards Roberto
My suggestion was devoted to people that can't afford the extracost to buy the license for the ACDC module. If the case, simple electrostatics problems can be solved using Laplace Equations node of Classical PDE module. Also the sef-made floating-pot. procedure, even if laborious, is rather instructive on the usage of weak contributions to add to a generic set of PDE equation(s). Best regards Roberto

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.