Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Temperature at outlet for non-isothermal laminar flow in circular tube

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am examining a non-isothermal laminar flow in circular tube in COMSOL where the heat transfer fluid in the tube is heated as is passes the tube. Since the flow is laminar a velocity profile will form. This will impact the outlet temperature since the average temperature at the outlet won't be the actual outlet temperature, i.e. the heat transfer fluid in the middle will have twice the velocity of the average and hence the fluid with this temperature will exit in a greater extent.

How can I take the velocity profile and circular cross-section into account and get the "actual" outlet temperature?

Thank you!

4 Replies Last Post May 3, 2015, 2:48 p.m. EDT
Frank van Gool COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago Apr 28, 2015, 11:09 a.m. EDT
Dear Fanny,

you can take the integral of the velocity times the temperature (w*T). Where you use the checkbox "compute surface integral".
This value should then be divided by the integal of the velocity only (total flux).

Best regards,
Frank
Dear Fanny, you can take the integral of the velocity times the temperature (w*T). Where you use the checkbox "compute surface integral". This value should then be divided by the integal of the velocity only (total flux). Best regards, Frank

Posted: 9 years ago Apr 28, 2015, 11:19 a.m. EDT
Shouldn't this be additionally weighted by the local mass density?

Posted: 9 years ago May 3, 2015, 2:47 p.m. EDT
Thank you! Though, I do not quite understand what you mean by "total flux" do you refer to the normal inlet velocity or something else?
Thank you! Though, I do not quite understand what you mean by "total flux" do you refer to the normal inlet velocity or something else?

Posted: 9 years ago May 3, 2015, 2:48 p.m. EDT

Yup, though the density does not vary too much so I will disregard this.
[QUOTE] Shouldn't this be additionally weighted by the local mass density? [/QUOTE] Yup, though the density does not vary too much so I will disregard this.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.