Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Modeling of molten droplet

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

how to model molten metal with solidification impinging on solid subtrate

11 Replies Last Post Apr 19, 2016, 4:46 p.m. EDT

Posted: 9 years ago Apr 29, 2015, 2:48 a.m. EDT
Hi Saurav,

Everything is well explaining in this good article.
You can't find better explanation elsewhere, equations and BC are done. You need level set CFD module and heat transfert (maybe not ht). A lot of work to do...

Julien
Hi Saurav, Everything is well explaining in this good article. You can't find better explanation elsewhere, equations and BC are done. You need level set CFD module and heat transfert (maybe not ht). A lot of work to do... Julien

Posted: 9 years ago Apr 29, 2015, 4:40 a.m. EDT
Hi Julien

for heat transfer what should be other than ht? see the my model where can i modify?

Without solidification simulation occurs but i am not able to do with solidifiacation
Hi Julien for heat transfer what should be other than ht? see the my model where can i modify? Without solidification simulation occurs but i am not able to do with solidifiacation

Posted: 9 years ago Apr 29, 2015, 4:47 a.m. EDT
Hi julien

See this article also
Hi julien See this article also

Posted: 9 years ago Apr 29, 2015, 4:55 a.m. EDT
I mean the complete heat transfert module with license cost.

I know how to simulate solidification with fixed grid (apparent heat capacity method) and ALE method (stephan problem for isothermal phase change), I have never try with level set, unfortenatly I don't have CFD module...
I will have a look to your model soon

Julien
I mean the complete heat transfert module with license cost. I know how to simulate solidification with fixed grid (apparent heat capacity method) and ALE method (stephan problem for isothermal phase change), I have never try with level set, unfortenatly I don't have CFD module... I will have a look to your model soon Julien

Posted: 9 years ago Apr 29, 2015, 10:14 a.m. EDT
Beautiful model Saurav
I don't have experience with level set but I think you can try segregated solver instead of fully one. It works better with phase change in most cases.
Try to play with termination conditions (automatic is powerfull) in segregated solver, different segregated groups... Maybe you can try a more simple geometry without point with with dense mesh (half a droplet will be easier).
Increasing parameter e to begin can be also helpfull. Your mesh is very strange... Try with a coarse mesh sometimes it can start better.

Julien
Beautiful model Saurav I don't have experience with level set but I think you can try segregated solver instead of fully one. It works better with phase change in most cases. Try to play with termination conditions (automatic is powerfull) in segregated solver, different segregated groups... Maybe you can try a more simple geometry without point with with dense mesh (half a droplet will be easier). Increasing parameter e to begin can be also helpfull. Your mesh is very strange... Try with a coarse mesh sometimes it can start better. Julien

Posted: 9 years ago Apr 30, 2015, 2:36 a.m. EDT
Hi julien
Thanks for suggestion
I have used the coarser mesh too but the mesh u have seen is strange that is taken from adaptive mesh.

can you share your model that simulate solidification with fixed grid (apparent heat capacity method) and ALE method ? If you can it would be helpful for me.
Hi julien Thanks for suggestion I have used the coarser mesh too but the mesh u have seen is strange that is taken from adaptive mesh. can you share your model that simulate solidification with fixed grid (apparent heat capacity method) and ALE method ? If you can it would be helpful for me.

Posted: 9 years ago Apr 30, 2015, 3:06 a.m. EDT
Hi Saurav,

In your case you have to use a fixed grid method. I use the same method that is described in continuous casting tutorial. I think that you should try with simple test cases for the phase change problem. When it works and when you have understand what parameters are needed for convergence, computation stability and speed, you can add this in the level set model.

Julien
Hi Saurav, In your case you have to use a fixed grid method. I use the same method that is described in continuous casting tutorial. I think that you should try with simple test cases for the phase change problem. When it works and when you have understand what parameters are needed for convergence, computation stability and speed, you can add this in the level set model. Julien

Posted: 9 years ago Jul 11, 2015, 5:11 a.m. EDT
Hi Saurav
I am also working on the same type of problem and I had also similar doubt .
If you have sort it out then please help me.

Akash Aggarwal
Hi Saurav I am also working on the same type of problem and I had also similar doubt . If you have sort it out then please help me. Akash Aggarwal

Posted: 9 years ago Jul 11, 2015, 8:04 a.m. EDT
Hi
Akash
tell me ur problem or send ur model then i can help u
Hi Akash tell me ur problem or send ur model then i can help u

Posted: 9 years ago Jul 11, 2015, 1:23 p.m. EDT
Hi Saurav

My model is completely similar as the model you have attached.
Actually I am working on modelling of Selective laser melting but just for start I am trying to simulate solidification of a molten metal droplet on a substrate.
I am using laminar multiphase level set method and is working but when I added heat transfer physics then it causes problem.
I am confused how to specify droplet initial temperature and how to couple two physics.
I was also stuck at the same point as you.

Akash Aggarwal
Hi Saurav My model is completely similar as the model you have attached. Actually I am working on modelling of Selective laser melting but just for start I am trying to simulate solidification of a molten metal droplet on a substrate. I am using laminar multiphase level set method and is working but when I added heat transfer physics then it causes problem. I am confused how to specify droplet initial temperature and how to couple two physics. I was also stuck at the same point as you. Akash Aggarwal

Posted: 8 years ago Apr 19, 2016, 4:46 p.m. EDT
Hi Saurov,
I tried to replicate the model described in the article but the solution the solver doesn't seem to converge to a solution using transient analysis or it is very slow.
How did you solve the problem? I've never used level-set method... is it normal that solution requires more than one day of computational time?

Thanks for your help!
Matteo
Hi Saurov, I tried to replicate the model described in the article but the solution the solver doesn't seem to converge to a solution using transient analysis or it is very slow. How did you solve the problem? I've never used level-set method... is it normal that solution requires more than one day of computational time? Thanks for your help! Matteo

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.