Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

To calculate surface charge

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello

I am working on COMSOL 4.4. electromagnetic , frequency domain. I have modeled a periodic metallic nanostructure. Now, I want to calculate the surface charge on the surface of the structure. I don't know where is the option to calculate the surface charge. I know the boundary condition and the command too. Please let me know if anybody know about it.

Thanks

7 Replies Last Post May 14, 2015, 2:03 a.m. EDT

Posted: 9 years ago May 8, 2015, 6:00 a.m. EDT
Surface charge equals to the potential gradient normal to the surface multiplied by the permittivity.

br
Lasse
Surface charge equals to the potential gradient normal to the surface multiplied by the permittivity. br Lasse

Posted: 9 years ago May 8, 2015, 4:36 p.m. EDT
Or the normal component of the displacement field.
Or the normal component of the displacement field.

Posted: 9 years ago May 10, 2015, 10:49 p.m. EDT

Yeah...that I know how to get the surface charge from formula. But in COMSOL...where I should put this formula...and how and where I have to select the surface to get the surface charge. i would be very thankful to you for this help.

Thanks
Yeah...that I know how to get the surface charge from formula. But in COMSOL...where I should put this formula...and how and where I have to select the surface to get the surface charge. i would be very thankful to you for this help. Thanks

Posted: 9 years ago May 11, 2015, 1:59 a.m. EDT
If you mean post-processing, in Derived Values. Select the surface, take an average or an integral over that surface and type the expression of the displacement field in the appriopriate box. In finding the surface in a complex geometry, I always use the Selection List, by clicking around it may be rather difficult to find.

Did I understand your question at all?

br
Lasse
If you mean post-processing, in Derived Values. Select the surface, take an average or an integral over that surface and type the expression of the displacement field in the appriopriate box. In finding the surface in a complex geometry, I always use the Selection List, by clicking around it may be rather difficult to find. Did I understand your question at all? br Lasse

Posted: 9 years ago May 12, 2015, 9:35 a.m. EDT
Thanks for the reply.

Would you please suggest me any tutorial in which surface charge is calculated?

Thanks
Thanks for the reply. Would you please suggest me any tutorial in which surface charge is calculated? Thanks

Posted: 9 years ago May 12, 2015, 2:36 p.m. EDT
How about this? It is an electrochemical problem but shows the idea.

br
Lasse
How about this? It is an electrochemical problem but shows the idea. br Lasse

Posted: 9 years ago May 14, 2015, 2:03 a.m. EDT
Thanks! It helped .
Thanks! It helped .

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.