Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Cannot compute eigenfrequency with impedance boundary condition.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

When I follow an eigenfrequency tutorial to the dot, I cannot get the simulation to compute with an impedance boundary condition without the typical 'undefined stiffness matrix' error. These are the exact steps I do:

Make box of 28x8x8 mm dimension.
Define built-in material air as interior domain and aluminium as all boundaries.
Select the eigenfrequency study as part of EM, frequency domain physics and search for eigenfrequencies around 7e9 Hz.
Set the impedance boundary condition to all boundaries.
I set the mesh to finer, but I also tried at extremely fine, and it gave the same error.

Only when I disable the impedance boundary condition do I get it to compute the eigenfrequencies.

This is just a simple demo, but I need the impedance boundary condition of my materials for more complex setups but I cannot seem to get rid of this error. I have attached my file so that you can tinker with it.

Any help would be appreciated.

1 Reply Last Post May 8, 2015, 10:19 a.m. EDT
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 9 years ago May 8, 2015, 10:19 a.m. EDT

Martijn,

I can tell you that it solves without problems in version 5.0 but not in 4.4. I have no idea why this happens. May be a case for the support.

Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Martijn, I can tell you that it solves without problems in version 5.0 but not in 4.4. I have no idea why this happens. May be a case for the support. Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.