Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Error in plotting contact pressure.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have a model consisting of two cylinders in contact.

>> When there is penetration between the contact surface of the two cylinders (domain 1 & 2) this results to
creation of a 3rd domain comprised of boundaries (penetration boundaries). I made sure to include the
boundaries of domain 3 in the contact pair definition as appropriate (see attached model). But when I try
to create a data set called surface1 to plot 'solid.cnt1.Tn' I dont see boundaries from domain 3
(penetration boundaries) and I end up with this error for trying to do the plot:-

Undefined variable.
- Variable: comp1.solid.cnt1.Tn
- Geometry: geom1
- Boundaries: 11, 12, 17, 18
Failed to evaluate expression.
- Expression: comp1.solid.cnt1.Tn
- Plot: surf1 (Surface)

>> So I am assuming that contact pressure can only be plot when there is no penetration in the contact
model. Is that really true???

>> As a solution, I modify the model such that there is a small distance between the two cylinders and I get
this error:

Failed to find a solution.
Maximum number of segregated iterations reached.
In segregated group 1:
There was an error message from the linear solver.
The relative residual (0.034) is greater than the relative tolerance.
Returned solution is not converged.

Find attached '2CYLDRp.mph'

Note in case 1 i am able to see Von Mises stress Distribution. but no contact pressue while in 2nd case i get neither. How do I solve my problem of plotting contact pressure in attached model?
Many thanks!
BSB

0 Replies Last Post May 9, 2015, 4:02 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Bello Sambo

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.