Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Applying Boundary Conditions Based on Deformed Geometry

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone,

Right now, I am trying to solve a coupled physics problem involving deformation and electric current. In essence, what I want to do is correlate electrical resistance between two spheres for varying applied loads. Based on previous work, we know that altering the applied force changes the spheres' contact area and, hence, the final electric resistance. TO implement this in COMSOL, however, there are a few issues I'm running into. Now, as you can imagine, there is an insulation boundary condition along the surface outside of the contact region. However, inside the contact region, current should be able to run freely between the spheres.

When trying to implement this insulation BC, there's a major issue in COMSOL. If I start with the undeformed geometry, then there is no contact region, and the entire surface is set as an insulation boundary. What I need to do is apply this boundary condition ONCE the deformation has taken place, but there is no way to do this at all. I have tried many suggestions before. Of those suggestions, one is to use the moving mesh (ALE) module to use the deformed geometry in the electric current module. Unfortunately, this does not work - since the entire surface is treated as insulated. Similarly, I also tried to export the deformed mesh into a new geometry via the "remesh deformed configuration" option. Again, this does not seem to work; the mesh is deformed inside the simulation, but the exported geometry is no different than the original geometry. The only difference is that the contact point is shifted vertically; the surface deformation is NOT exported. Is there any way that I could run the elasticity module and THEN apply this insulation boundary condition - such that current may run freely between the spheres? ANy suggestions are GREATLY APPRECIATED; this has been beyond frustrating....

3 Replies Last Post Nov 13, 2015, 11:36 a.m. EST
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago May 20, 2015, 6:53 a.m. EDT
Hi,

I might have missed something, but is not 'Pair Electrical Contact' in the Electric Currents interface together with 'Contact' in Solid Mechanics all that you need?

Regards,
Henrik
Hi, I might have missed something, but is not 'Pair Electrical Contact' in the Electric Currents interface together with 'Contact' in Solid Mechanics all that you need? Regards, Henrik

Posted: 9 years ago May 20, 2015, 3:27 p.m. EDT
Hello Henrik,

Thank you very much for the reply. After looking over the governing equation for 'Pair Electrical Contact', it seems as though this might be the appropriate boundary condition to use. However, whenever I enable it, COMSOL has a LOT of difficulty converging to a final solution. I only obtain a solution when my mesh refinement is very low. Unfortunately, that refinement is not sufficient to capture the contact region's effects (in essence, the contact radius is much smaller than a givne element with this refinement). Furthermore, potential plots are indicating that the contact region is still being treated as a point contact. In other words, it's still applying an insulation boundary condition for whatever reason. Any ideas how to proceed? For this simulation, I am using the following modules: Solid Mechanics (solid), Moving Mesh (ale), and Electric Current (ec). Any further guidance would be greatly appreciated!!
Hello Henrik, Thank you very much for the reply. After looking over the governing equation for 'Pair Electrical Contact', it seems as though this might be the appropriate boundary condition to use. However, whenever I enable it, COMSOL has a LOT of difficulty converging to a final solution. I only obtain a solution when my mesh refinement is very low. Unfortunately, that refinement is not sufficient to capture the contact region's effects (in essence, the contact radius is much smaller than a givne element with this refinement). Furthermore, potential plots are indicating that the contact region is still being treated as a point contact. In other words, it's still applying an insulation boundary condition for whatever reason. Any ideas how to proceed? For this simulation, I am using the following modules: Solid Mechanics (solid), Moving Mesh (ale), and Electric Current (ec). Any further guidance would be greatly appreciated!!

Laveen Prabhu Selvaraj

Posted: 9 years ago Nov 13, 2015, 11:36 a.m. EST
Hallo Robert,

Have you solved the problem.. I am also strucked at the same point, i am now trying to use moving mesh. It is like a switch, after applying some force it touches the contact which create resistance change.. Can you help me to apply moving mesh, also if u have any other solution.

Thanks in advance

Regards,
Laveen Prabhu S
laveen.blackberry@gmail.com
Hallo Robert, Have you solved the problem.. I am also strucked at the same point, i am now trying to use moving mesh. It is like a switch, after applying some force it touches the contact which create resistance change.. Can you help me to apply moving mesh, also if u have any other solution. Thanks in advance Regards, Laveen Prabhu S laveen.blackberry@gmail.com

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.