Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Need help regarding geometry

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi
I am developing a continuous casting model of L-shaped channel. To make the geometrical structure of L-shape, I am facing problem in it. Do I have to make 2 blocks and combine them ? If yes, how ? or there is some other way to do this.

Regards
Shailesh

2 Replies Last Post May 26, 2015, 11:43 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 9 years ago May 16, 2015, 6:10 a.m. EDT
Hi

as you say you can draw two rectangles, you will add an internal boundary, but that dos really make your model more complex. If you absolutely want, you can unite the two geometrical objects (rectangles) and de-select the keep internal boundaries and your internal boundary will disappear

Another way: use the polyline, often its easier to sketch it out manually then to correct the coordinates of the points, provided the numbers are easy to identify

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi as you say you can draw two rectangles, you will add an internal boundary, but that dos really make your model more complex. If you absolutely want, you can unite the two geometrical objects (rectangles) and de-select the keep internal boundaries and your internal boundary will disappear Another way: use the polyline, often its easier to sketch it out manually then to correct the coordinates of the points, provided the numbers are easy to identify -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 9 years ago May 26, 2015, 11:43 a.m. EDT
Thanks for the help. I have one more issue. Here it is -
I have been following instructions given for modelling of cylindrical rod (available on comsol website). As cylindrical rod simulation is done in 2-D, volume force is taken in 'r' and 'z' co-ordinates but I have to run it in 'x','y' and 'z'. I guess expression for 'z' will remain same here but no clue about 'x' and 'y'. Here what it is entered for cylindrical rod process (as per given in variables and parameters document uploaded on website)-

A_mush 6e4[kg/(m^3*s)] (Volume force damping constant)
alpha ht.alpha12 (Fraction of liquid phase)
epsilon 1e-3 (Volume force damping constant)
f (1-alpha)^2/(alpha^3+epsilon) ( Volume force prefactor)
Fr -f*A_mush*u (Volume force density, r-component)
Fz -f*A_mush*(w-v_cast) ( Volume force density, z-component)
v_cast = casting speed
u = velocity field
(no idea about w)
Kindly help me through this

Regards
Shailesh
Thanks for the help. I have one more issue. Here it is - I have been following instructions given for modelling of cylindrical rod (available on comsol website). As cylindrical rod simulation is done in 2-D, volume force is taken in 'r' and 'z' co-ordinates but I have to run it in 'x','y' and 'z'. I guess expression for 'z' will remain same here but no clue about 'x' and 'y'. Here what it is entered for cylindrical rod process (as per given in variables and parameters document uploaded on website)- A_mush 6e4[kg/(m^3*s)] (Volume force damping constant) alpha ht.alpha12 (Fraction of liquid phase) epsilon 1e-3 (Volume force damping constant) f (1-alpha)^2/(alpha^3+epsilon) ( Volume force prefactor) Fr -f*A_mush*u (Volume force density, r-component) Fz -f*A_mush*(w-v_cast) ( Volume force density, z-component) v_cast = casting speed u = velocity field (no idea about w) Kindly help me through this Regards Shailesh

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.