Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

object shape changing due to high aspect ratio

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everybody, I am a bit new on COMSOL platform. I have been trying to model rod which is 50.4 mm in length and 10 um in diameter. I have been using structural mechanics module for that as I need to do some frequency analysis. But the problem is that the shape automatically changed to a rectangular bar if i input my length that long. So far I am getting a circular cross sectioned rod upto 1mm, beyond that value the shape get changed.

Any solution is appreciated.
Thank you

2 Replies Last Post May 19, 2015, 6:32 p.m. EDT

Posted: 9 years ago May 19, 2015, 5:36 p.m. EDT
Can you simulate, for example, 500µm to 1 mm and apply scaling rules to extend the solution to longer lengths?

That long object seems a nasty tessellation problem.

It might alternately be possible to model it directly as an extruded polygon rather than a cylinder and force the tessellation you want.
Can you simulate, for example, 500µm to 1 mm and apply scaling rules to extend the solution to longer lengths? That long object seems a nasty tessellation problem. It might alternately be possible to model it directly as an extruded polygon rather than a cylinder and force the tessellation you want.

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 9 years ago May 19, 2015, 6:32 p.m. EDT

This is just a visualization effect. You can change that in Preferences > Graphics and Plot Windows. Set 'Detail' to 'Fine'.

Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
This is just a visualization effect. You can change that in Preferences > Graphics and Plot Windows. Set 'Detail' to 'Fine'. Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.