Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Cursor Coordinates in COMSOL 4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Is there a way to easily display the current cursor location co-ordinates in the 3D graphics view in COMSOL 4.0a? I used the status bar display often to decide where to place slices for slice plots etc. in version 3.4a and cannot see an obvious way to do the same in the new version.

9 Replies Last Post Nov 1, 2016, 11:14 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 3, 2010, 3:53 a.m. EDT
Hi

you have the "graphical" inputs to define the slices in V4 too (up left side of graphics view border) Once selected then you get the GUI with the numerical values to edit if you want.

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi you have the "graphical" inputs to define the slices in V4 too (up left side of graphics view border) Once selected then you get the GUI with the numerical values to edit if you want. -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 4, 2010, 4:03 a.m. EDT
Hi Ivar - I am not sure what you mean by the above post - I was hoping to be able to see the X Y and Z co-ordinates of the cursor when it is hovering over the model in the graphics view.

I have now found a workaround - as when you click on a volume or surface plot of the model (provided you are within the plot area) the co-ordinates of the point you click on as well as the value being plotted at this point are shown in the results area. I've attached a screen grab showing this with one of the files from the COMSOL model library.

You'll see in my screen grab that I don't have anything written in the upper left side of the graphics view border. There doesn't seem to be anything when I undock the window either.

Thanks,

James

Hi Ivar - I am not sure what you mean by the above post - I was hoping to be able to see the X Y and Z co-ordinates of the cursor when it is hovering over the model in the graphics view. I have now found a workaround - as when you click on a volume or surface plot of the model (provided you are within the plot area) the co-ordinates of the point you click on as well as the value being plotted at this point are shown in the results area. I've attached a screen grab showing this with one of the files from the COMSOL model library. You'll see in my screen grab that I don't have anything written in the upper left side of the graphics view border. There doesn't seem to be anything when I undock the window either. Thanks, James

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 4, 2010, 5:34 a.m. EDT
Hi

sorry I must have slipped over from another question ;)

in the graphics you have the "measure" to get coordinates of points, length of edges etc of geoemtric items

in V4 I have only noticed that I can populate a table with coordinates from the mouse and the value of a plot, but you do not have (today) any other info as in 3.5

I would suggest that you send a mail to support, your demand is rather usefull and reasonnable, I agree

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi sorry I must have slipped over from another question ;) in the graphics you have the "measure" to get coordinates of points, length of edges etc of geoemtric items in V4 I have only noticed that I can populate a table with coordinates from the mouse and the value of a plot, but you do not have (today) any other info as in 3.5 I would suggest that you send a mail to support, your demand is rather usefull and reasonnable, I agree -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 4, 2010, 11:06 a.m. EDT
So, is this not possible to actively see the coordinates of a point?
I have imported a geometry, and need to find out the coordinates of different points. However when using the measure button, no matter where on the geometry I click, it always returns the same coordinates and the same point number. Also, in the selection list, I do not have the option to see the points numbers. It's only the name of the entire imported geometry in the selection list.
So, is this not possible to actively see the coordinates of a point? I have imported a geometry, and need to find out the coordinates of different points. However when using the measure button, no matter where on the geometry I click, it always returns the same coordinates and the same point number. Also, in the selection list, I do not have the option to see the points numbers. It's only the name of the entire imported geometry in the selection list.

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 4, 2010, 4:49 p.m. EDT
Hi

Yes, if you select "show points" in the graphical view, you can select a point and hit the "measure" icone and have a message giving the coordinates, if you select the lines the you measure length, respectively area etc
this is possible for geoemtries

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Yes, if you select "show points" in the graphical view, you can select a point and hit the "measure" icone and have a message giving the coordinates, if you select the lines the you measure length, respectively area etc this is possible for geoemtries -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 5, 2010, 4:18 a.m. EDT
Dear Fatemah,

If the measure isn't giving you what you want set up a results - domian plot (if you haven't solved the problem, add the mesh as a data set and plot the mesh quality: qual) and you should be able to click on points in the geometry with the resolution of the mesh. Unlike the measure tool clicking on something that isn't part of the geometry itself is allowed in this case.

Have a look at the .jpg I attached in the post above to see an example of this.

Cheers,

James
Dear Fatemah, If the measure isn't giving you what you want set up a results - domian plot (if you haven't solved the problem, add the mesh as a data set and plot the mesh quality: qual) and you should be able to click on points in the geometry with the resolution of the mesh. Unlike the measure tool clicking on something that isn't part of the geometry itself is allowed in this case. Have a look at the .jpg I attached in the post above to see an example of this. Cheers, James

Mohammad Mostakhdemin

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 27, 2014, 4:24 a.m. EDT
Hi
i have error that i need to find the exact location of points that their coordinates have been given in Error. So how can I locate them all?

i.e. (16.7897,-1.49558,10.3973)
Hi i have error that i need to find the exact location of points that their coordinates have been given in Error. So how can I locate them all? i.e. (16.7897,-1.49558,10.3973)

Posted: 8 years ago Oct 31, 2016, 4:44 p.m. EDT
Clunky, but lacking a better approach, I defined a point at the coordinate of interest, and used that as a marker. Alternately or additionally, you can define work plane(s) at the individual coordinates, or draw 3 lines to intersect at the point.
Clunky, but lacking a better approach, I defined a point at the coordinate of interest, and used that as a marker. Alternately or additionally, you can define work plane(s) at the individual coordinates, or draw 3 lines to intersect at the point.

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago Nov 1, 2016, 11:14 a.m. EDT
Hello Mohammad,
As an alternative to Daniel's suggestions, you can add a Cut Point 3D dataset at those coordinates and hit the "Plot" button at the top of that node's Settings window: a big red dot will appear at the coordinates you specified.
Best,
Jeff
Hello Mohammad, As an alternative to Daniel's suggestions, you can add a Cut Point 3D dataset at those coordinates and hit the "Plot" button at the top of that node's Settings window: a big red dot will appear at the coordinates you specified. Best, Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.