Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Heat transfer with time derivative heat source

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

I try to model heat transfer with time derivative heat source Q=dq/dt, with q=Qm*exp(Tau/t)^(Beta)
Qm, Tau, Beta are constant.
Are there anyone know how write dQ/dt in COMSOL?
I have tried either qt or d(Qm*exp(Tau/t)^(Beta),t) but both of them doesn't work.
I got the following error:
Failed to evaluate variable Jacobian.
- Variable: qt
- Geometry: 1
- Domain: 1
- Feature: Time-Dependent Solver 1 (sol1/t1)
Are there anyone know how write dQ/dt in COMSOL?
Thank you for any help.

Agus

3 Replies Last Post Jun 3, 2015, 11:34 a.m. EDT

Posted: 9 years ago Jun 3, 2015, 12:21 a.m. EDT
In addition, when I used Q as d(Qmax*exp(-(Tau/t)^(Beta)),t), I got the error below:
Failed to find consistent initial values.
Last time step is not converged.
- Feature: Time-Dependent Solver 1 (sol1/t1)

Can you help me?
Thanks.

Agus
In addition, when I used Q as d(Qmax*exp(-(Tau/t)^(Beta)),t), I got the error below: Failed to find consistent initial values. Last time step is not converged. - Feature: Time-Dependent Solver 1 (sol1/t1) Can you help me? Thanks. Agus

Posted: 9 years ago Jun 3, 2015, 1:55 a.m. EDT
Hi

It is of course possible to calculate the derivative in closed form:

dq/dt = -[(Qm·beta·Tau)/t²]*exp(beta·Tau/t)

The problem is that at t = 0 this has a singularity, as well as q itself. Your error message probably is related to that.

It is not my business, but from where such a peculiar function? Usually you see the form exp(t/Tau) where Tau is some characteristic time of the system.

br
Lasse
Hi It is of course possible to calculate the derivative in closed form: dq/dt = -[(Qm·beta·Tau)/t²]*exp(beta·Tau/t) The problem is that at t = 0 this has a singularity, as well as q itself. Your error message probably is related to that. It is not my business, but from where such a peculiar function? Usually you see the form exp(t/Tau) where Tau is some characteristic time of the system. br Lasse

Posted: 9 years ago Jun 3, 2015, 11:34 a.m. EDT
Hi Lasse,

Thank you very much for your quick respond.
I agree with you that at t = 0 this has a singularity.
From your answer above, I got new idea to avoid t=0 by changing t to very small values for instance t=0.0001.
It is working properly.
Regarding to the function, it is typical function describing the heat produced by the hydration reaction of cement-based materials. It is also mentioned in the several literature's.
Anyway, thank you very much for your answer. It gave me fresh inspiration to solve it.

Br
Agus
Hi Lasse, Thank you very much for your quick respond. I agree with you that at t = 0 this has a singularity. From your answer above, I got new idea to avoid t=0 by changing t to very small values for instance t=0.0001. It is working properly. Regarding to the function, it is typical function describing the heat produced by the hydration reaction of cement-based materials. It is also mentioned in the several literature's. Anyway, thank you very much for your answer. It gave me fresh inspiration to solve it. Br Agus

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.