Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Damped Vibrating Cantilever

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
My problem is that I have a cantilever that I want to damp by having fluid in a longitudinal channel running the length of the beam. However, since this is difficult to simulate I have been trying to have a cantilever damped by external fluid as if the beam was submerged in air or water. Then I can apply what I learn to the internal channel of the cantilever. However, I cant get this to work either.

I am modeling the beam as being attached to a shaker so I have one end of the beam with a prescribed acceleration of 9.81m/s^2 and I solve this in the frequency domain. I try using the solid mechanics module with laminar flow and I set the pressure solved for by the laminar flow module as a boundary load on the beam and then solve in the frequency domain. I sweep across frequencies so I can get a FFT plot and find the shape of the resonance peak. I have also tried this with the pressure acoustics module. In both cases I get results that are identical to the un-dampened version of the problem which is obviously undesirable. In FSI i got results that showed no stress or deflection in the beam whatsoever.

Any help is greatly appreciated and thank you in advance!

0 Replies Last Post Jun 30, 2015, 11:28 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Ryan Tancin

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.