Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Mesh problem

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, my project has a gold wire with diameter of 25um over a piece of square substrate with 5 x 5 mm. I am having a problem with the simulation of magnetic field, because the mesh does not to converge correctly.
If I use a normal mesh I have the message "Inverted mesh element near coordinates (0.0025, 0.00440518, 0.0008125)", if I have a Extremely Fine mesh, I take a long time to process, so until this moment my best solution is a user controlled mesh custom to a big maximum element size (1) and a very little minimum element size (0.005) with a element growth rate of 2 and a resolution of 1.
Is that correct ? Is there another solution more efficient?
Thank's.

5 Replies Last Post Jul 3, 2015, 12:44 p.m. EDT

Posted: 9 years ago Jul 3, 2015, 1:37 a.m. EDT
Hi

You can mesh the wire first with very fine mesh and the rest thereafter. I used min size 0.01 mm and max size 0.2 mm for the wire, and for the rest normal default size parameters.

Solution took 2 minutes.

BR
Lasse
Hi You can mesh the wire first with very fine mesh and the rest thereafter. I used min size 0.01 mm and max size 0.2 mm for the wire, and for the rest normal default size parameters. Solution took 2 minutes. BR Lasse

Posted: 9 years ago Jul 3, 2015, 8:49 a.m. EDT
Hi,

Thank you, Mr. Lasse, but I can't to open the file because my version is older (5.0), it is possible to save the file in an earlier version?
Hi, Thank you, Mr. Lasse, but I can't to open the file because my version is older (5.0), it is possible to save the file in an earlier version?

Posted: 9 years ago Jul 3, 2015, 9:00 a.m. EDT
Unfortunately it is not possible to save as an earlier version - an issue which has been frequently asked on this forum. But I tell you what to do.

You can mesh first only the wire with free tetrahedral elements: max size 0.2 mm, min size 0.01 mm. Then mesh the rest, again with tetrahedrons and default settings. In order to select the wire domain first, you'd better activate Selection list that gives at each stage the possible entities, edges, boundaries, domains, objects, depending on what level you are working at. Selection list is found in Home ribbon, the second rightmost icon "Windows".

br
Lasse
Unfortunately it is not possible to save as an earlier version - an issue which has been frequently asked on this forum. But I tell you what to do. You can mesh first only the wire with free tetrahedral elements: max size 0.2 mm, min size 0.01 mm. Then mesh the rest, again with tetrahedrons and default settings. In order to select the wire domain first, you'd better activate Selection list that gives at each stage the possible entities, edges, boundaries, domains, objects, depending on what level you are working at. Selection list is found in Home ribbon, the second rightmost icon "Windows". br Lasse

Posted: 9 years ago Jul 3, 2015, 9:06 a.m. EDT
Here is the model with version 5.0.

br
Lasse
Here is the model with version 5.0. br Lasse

Posted: 9 years ago Jul 3, 2015, 12:44 p.m. EDT
Good! It worked!

The result was a size file reduced to a half of my first simulation and with similar values.

Thank you Mr. Lasse.
Good! It worked! The result was a size file reduced to a half of my first simulation and with similar values. Thank you Mr. Lasse.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.