Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

current and temperature dependent conductivity (sigma(T,j) )

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

I am trying to model a conducting wire, where the conductivity depends both on the actual temperature and the actual current density. The temperature dependence is no problem. But I don´t know how to add the j dependecny.

I am using the electric current and heat tansfer modules. Is it only possible to solve linear equations?
Sigma(T,j) would be non-linear, as j also depends on the temperature.

Thanks for any help or comments

1 Reply Last Post Jun 5, 2013, 1:58 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Robert Werner

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 5, 2013, 1:58 p.m. EDT
Hi Robert,

I am actually trying to simulate the same nonlinear conductivity as in your case. I tried to simply make a conductivity that is a function of the current density, but I get an error when I do this. I know you posted your question a while ago, but I was wondering if you figured out how to implement this nonlinear conductivity in COMSOL. I would greatly appreciate any help or hints you can give me. Thanks
Hi Robert, I am actually trying to simulate the same nonlinear conductivity as in your case. I tried to simply make a conductivity that is a function of the current density, but I get an error when I do this. I know you posted your question a while ago, but I was wondering if you figured out how to implement this nonlinear conductivity in COMSOL. I would greatly appreciate any help or hints you can give me. Thanks

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.