Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Integration of Poynting Vector to determine Scattering Cross

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
I am trying to determine scattering cross section of a silicon sphere. I have seen tutorials in which people have taken surface integrals of "emw.relPoavx*nx+emw.relPoavy*ny+ emw.relPoavz*nz". I want know- what is the difference between ewm.Poavx and emw.relPoavx?

Thanks in advance!

Regards

Nishant

2 Replies Last Post Sep 28, 2015, 5:13 a.m. EDT
Sergei Yushanov Certified Consultant

Posted: 9 years ago Aug 20, 2015, 10:31 a.m. EDT
Nishant,

ewm.Poavx is time average x-component of the Poynting vector of the total EM field.
emw.relPoavx is time average x-component of the Poynting vector of the scattered (or relative, in Comsol terminology) EM field.

Regards,
Sergei
Nishant, ewm.Poavx is time average x-component of the Poynting vector of the total EM field. emw.relPoavx is time average x-component of the Poynting vector of the scattered (or relative, in Comsol terminology) EM field. Regards, Sergei

Posted: 9 years ago Sep 28, 2015, 5:13 a.m. EDT
Thank you very much for the reply.
Thank you very much for the reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.