Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Mechanical deformation results in Solid Mechanics and Electromechanics don't fit

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi folks,

I am simulating some mechanical deformation of sensors using Electromechanics physics, after that, I use Solid Mechanics to verify the correctness of mechanical deformation results from Electromechanics. With the same Linear Elastic Material and Solver, their results are not the same. The Solid Mechanics give me very linear relationship between force and deflection, while Electromechanics gives me nonlinear one, even at the same setting. I wonder if there is any setting tricks or it is a bug there.

2 Replies Last Post Aug 25, 2015, 8:34 p.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 9 years ago Aug 25, 2015, 2:40 p.m. EDT
Hi
normally there are no tricks, nor bugs, but for us out here on the Forum to understand really what is your issue we would need far more info, best the model itself.

In Structural you have only the mechanical behaviour, while in Electromechanics you have normally coupling of electric and mechanical effects.
So if you are i.e. talking about an electrostatic actuator model, you will have a very non-linear pull-in effect in electro-mechanics, by coupling the electrostatic forces and the mechanical deflection, while in structural, if you put a linear force BC you will get a linear response out.

But you do not really tell us what is different in your case between the two physics and models you are using, so I cannot guess any better ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi normally there are no tricks, nor bugs, but for us out here on the Forum to understand really what is your issue we would need far more info, best the model itself. In Structural you have only the mechanical behaviour, while in Electromechanics you have normally coupling of electric and mechanical effects. So if you are i.e. talking about an electrostatic actuator model, you will have a very non-linear pull-in effect in electro-mechanics, by coupling the electrostatic forces and the mechanical deflection, while in structural, if you put a linear force BC you will get a linear response out. But you do not really tell us what is different in your case between the two physics and models you are using, so I cannot guess any better ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 9 years ago Aug 25, 2015, 8:34 p.m. EDT
Hello Ivar,

Thanks for your valuable answer. To make it clear, I am simulating the parallel-plate capacitive sensor, with upper electrode as flexible diaphragm and bottom one mechanically fixed as another electrode. In Solid Mechanics, I constrained edge of diaphragm and applied pressure to see the output deflection over pressure, that's something really simple. In Electromechanics, I chose the same material, Linear Elastic Material and Solver setting for diaphragm, adding a air gap as dielectric material without any mechanical properties, and defined electrical terminals for both topper and bottom eletrodes, to see the output deflection over pressure and its corresponding capacitance change . After simulation, the deflection results from Solid Mechanics and Electromechanics are different, up to 30%. The solid Mechanics gives the value the same to theoretical calculation with linear output, but that from Electromecahnics shows nonlinear deflection. When I chose the Linear Elastic Material as "imcompressive" and "linear strain over stress" in Electromechanics, it gives closer results to that in Solid Mechanics, but I didn't chose these two options in Solid Mechanics.

So I wonder if it is a bug there.

Hi
normally there are no tricks, nor bugs, but for us out here on the Forum to understand really what is your issue we would need far more info, best the model itself.

In Structural you have only the mechanical behaviour, while in Electromechanics you have normally coupling of electric and mechanical effects.
So if you are i.e. talking about an electrostatic actuator model, you will have a very non-linear pull-in effect in electro-mechanics, by coupling the electrostatic forces and the mechanical deflection, while in structural, if you put a linear force BC you will get a linear response out.

But you do not really tell us what is different in your case between the two physics and models you are using, so I cannot guess any better ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar

Hello Ivar, Thanks for your valuable answer. To make it clear, I am simulating the parallel-plate capacitive sensor, with upper electrode as flexible diaphragm and bottom one mechanically fixed as another electrode. In Solid Mechanics, I constrained edge of diaphragm and applied pressure to see the output deflection over pressure, that's something really simple. In Electromechanics, I chose the same material, Linear Elastic Material and Solver setting for diaphragm, adding a air gap as dielectric material without any mechanical properties, and defined electrical terminals for both topper and bottom eletrodes, to see the output deflection over pressure and its corresponding capacitance change . After simulation, the deflection results from Solid Mechanics and Electromechanics are different, up to 30%. The solid Mechanics gives the value the same to theoretical calculation with linear output, but that from Electromecahnics shows nonlinear deflection. When I chose the Linear Elastic Material as "imcompressive" and "linear strain over stress" in Electromechanics, it gives closer results to that in Solid Mechanics, but I didn't chose these two options in Solid Mechanics. So I wonder if it is a bug there. [QUOTE] Hi normally there are no tricks, nor bugs, but for us out here on the Forum to understand really what is your issue we would need far more info, best the model itself. In Structural you have only the mechanical behaviour, while in Electromechanics you have normally coupling of electric and mechanical effects. So if you are i.e. talking about an electrostatic actuator model, you will have a very non-linear pull-in effect in electro-mechanics, by coupling the electrostatic forces and the mechanical deflection, while in structural, if you put a linear force BC you will get a linear response out. But you do not really tell us what is different in your case between the two physics and models you are using, so I cannot guess any better ;) -- Good luck Ivar [/QUOTE]

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.