Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Problem with electromagnetics

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi
I am trying to simulate electromagnetic suspension for automobiles using COMSOL 4.3b. I am experimenting everything in the software specifically in AC/DC physics using video tutorials since I am totally new to this software. I am not able to come to point of selecting the exact physics for my concept. I am giving electric current 'A' as input to the windings surrounding the core and expecting output in terms of Lorentz force or magneto motive force created at the top end faces of the electromagnet due to current. Please suggest me some papers relating to the topic if possible.

I am hoping for someone to please help me out with this problem that would be really grateful to me.

Thanks.

2 Replies Last Post Sep 8, 2015, 2:50 p.m. EDT
Nirmal Paudel COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago Sep 4, 2015, 4:03 p.m. EDT
Hi,

The following example model demonstrate the calculation of Lorentz force on the conductive plate where the eddy currents is induced by the current carrying conductor located above it. The core is not included in this model.

www.comsol.com/model/induction-currents-from-circular-coils-124

If you wish to model the coil and a core, please refer to this example:
www.comsol.com/model/eddy-currents-in-a-cylinder-128

Note that the core material is a conductive and non-magnetic material, but you could simply change the material to something like Soft Iron (magnetic material).

Hope this will be useful.

Best Regards,
Nirmal Paudel
Hi, The following example model demonstrate the calculation of Lorentz force on the conductive plate where the eddy currents is induced by the current carrying conductor located above it. The core is not included in this model. http://www.comsol.com/model/induction-currents-from-circular-coils-124 If you wish to model the coil and a core, please refer to this example: http://www.comsol.com/model/eddy-currents-in-a-cylinder-128 Note that the core material is a conductive and non-magnetic material, but you could simply change the material to something like Soft Iron (magnetic material). Hope this will be useful. Best Regards, Nirmal Paudel

Posted: 9 years ago Sep 8, 2015, 2:50 p.m. EDT
Thank you so much for your reply Sir. But one question Sir, how can I change the direction of current in the coils. My study is little complicated. It consists of the electromagnets placed one above the other separated by small air gap. The current direction (DC) in one coil of one electromagnet is opposite to the coil of another electromagnet above it such that both electromagnets create repulsive forces between them.
I hope if it can be solved.
Thank you so much for your reply Sir. But one question Sir, how can I change the direction of current in the coils. My study is little complicated. It consists of the electromagnets placed one above the other separated by small air gap. The current direction (DC) in one coil of one electromagnet is opposite to the coil of another electromagnet above it such that both electromagnets create repulsive forces between them. I hope if it can be solved.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.