Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

calculation of e field in a partially conducting fluid

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am in the process of evaluating Comsol. I have a trial version, but I am struggling to find out if it will simulate what I want..before I spend serious cash on the full version.

Here is my application:

I have essentially a non insulated coaxial structure with a small aperture cut in the outer. The cable is immersed in a partially conducting fluid which penetrates into the cable such that it is contacting the inner (live) conductor and the bare braid. One end of the coax is driven with a low frequency sine wave signal at around 10 kHz at say 10Vpp and the other end is terminated in a 50 Ohm load.

I have an array of metal pads suspended in the liquid, at some distance above the cable and at some distance from the aperture. I would like to find the voltage developed across two of these pads in a 3D space as I move the pads around, adjust the size and shape of the aperture and vary the conductivity of the liquid.

I am assuming I should be using the AC/DC module (not RF) as I am at 10 kHz and the aperture is in the order of a few cm.

Any hints and tips on modelling, is AC/DC the correct tool? I suppose I just want to simulate the electric field in the liquid, which could equally be done at dc rather than 10 kHz. I am convinced this is simply a low freq electric field simulation and that there are no magnetic/TEM fields. I am looking at propagation in a conducting fluid, not in free space. I don't think electrostatic modelling is the correct way forward as I don't have a pure dielectric.

Thanks, Julian.

1 Reply Last Post Sep 17, 2015, 6:11 a.m. EDT
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 9 years ago Sep 17, 2015, 6:11 a.m. EDT
Julian,

I think you are correct in using AC/DC and also in approximating with a DC setup. I would suggest to use electric currents physics.
The coaxial structure confines magnetic and electric fields essentially into the inner domain of the cable.

Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Julian, I think you are correct in using AC/DC and also in approximating with a DC setup. I would suggest to use electric currents physics. The coaxial structure confines magnetic and electric fields essentially into the inner domain of the cable. Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.