Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Definition of normal vector of the boundaries in COMSOL

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello, everyone,

When I did powerflow integration on some boundary, the sign of the outflow is positive or negative which can not be explained by myself.
The outflow power defined (eg. in RF) : nPo_rfw=nx_rfw*Pox_rfw+ny_rfw*Poy_rfw+nz_rfw*Poz_rfw. It is defined as the scalar product of the power flow and the normal vector to the boundary.
However, I am totally confused about the definition of the normal vector of a plane boundary in COMSOL.
For example , an plane x=-0.1, the normal vector should be [1 0 0],right?
If it is like that, can you explain me eg. in the library model: waveguide_hbend_3d
The normal vector of boundary 1 is [1 0 0] or [-1 0 0], why the outflow power on boundary 1 is negative?
How can I plot normal vector nx_rfw, ny_rfw, nz_rfw inside GUI?
I want to check the sign of the normal vector. If I type this directly in the plot parameter, It does not show the value.

Can anyone explain me a little bit?

3 Replies Last Post Sep 6, 2010, 4:59 a.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 3, 2010, 12:09 p.m. EDT
Hi,

Regarding plot of the normal vectors, you can try to use boundary plot instead of subdomain plot.

Wei
Hi, Regarding plot of the normal vectors, you can try to use boundary plot instead of subdomain plot. Wei

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 4, 2010, 3:14 a.m. EDT
Hi

the normal direction are defined wrt the body/domain, it points normally "outward" from a closed volume ("up") and if you define a plane you need to say where is the geoemtrical entity of higher value (volume for a plane, surface for an edge, but a point has a singularity w.r.t normal ;) to define the outward ("up") direction ofthe normal.

Just a plane has two directions for a normal, they are opposite, you need to define a sign convention, in Comsol its normally + is outward away from the closed body

But indeed use the arrow plots to see, visualise nx,ny.nz or any other vector

Hope this helps
--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi the normal direction are defined wrt the body/domain, it points normally "outward" from a closed volume ("up") and if you define a plane you need to say where is the geoemtrical entity of higher value (volume for a plane, surface for an edge, but a point has a singularity w.r.t normal ;) to define the outward ("up") direction ofthe normal. Just a plane has two directions for a normal, they are opposite, you need to define a sign convention, in Comsol its normally + is outward away from the closed body But indeed use the arrow plots to see, visualise nx,ny.nz or any other vector Hope this helps -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 6, 2010, 4:59 a.m. EDT
Thank you for your reply! I understand now.
Thank you for your reply! I understand now.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.