Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

contact pair interior boundaries

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am having trouble modeling contact pairs on interior boundaries. For some reason when I select an interior boundary (see attached file...examples are boundaries 11 and 15 for contact pair 2 and 23, 24, 25, 28, 29, 30,31, and 34 for contact pair 1. Why does it keep saying these are not applicable? I basically want a contact pair to connect the silica rod to the epoxy and then the epoxy to the steel. I have tried to import my cad file in many different formats but cannot get around this ordeal. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong or what I need to change to get this to work? Thanks in advance.

1 Reply Last Post Sep 7, 2010, 1:31 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 7, 2010, 1:31 a.m. EDT
Hi

You cannot put Contact pairs on "interiour" boundaries, these contact boundaries must be "double" and have "up" and "down" side borders. To achieve this you must use the "assembly mode" and not the "union" mode in the Finish of the Geometry node. Furthermore, you must define your "pairs" manually in the Definitions node (as you have started to do)

If you say "union", then overlapping boundaries are merged, such borderds cannot separate without a topology error. If you use "assembly" (and you should combine first all geometry entities together that does NOT need to be separated, to reduce the number of inecessary pairs) the boundaries are distinct and might be overlapping. (thereafter the trick is to catch the correct boundary that belongs to the correct closed volume/surface ;)

Then only you can define correct contact pair and use these in the contact physics you define in your model

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi You cannot put Contact pairs on "interiour" boundaries, these contact boundaries must be "double" and have "up" and "down" side borders. To achieve this you must use the "assembly mode" and not the "union" mode in the Finish of the Geometry node. Furthermore, you must define your "pairs" manually in the Definitions node (as you have started to do) If you say "union", then overlapping boundaries are merged, such borderds cannot separate without a topology error. If you use "assembly" (and you should combine first all geometry entities together that does NOT need to be separated, to reduce the number of inecessary pairs) the boundaries are distinct and might be overlapping. (thereafter the trick is to catch the correct boundary that belongs to the correct closed volume/surface ;) Then only you can define correct contact pair and use these in the contact physics you define in your model -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.