Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Force of an Assembly of Magnets and Steel Issues

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone,

I am using the AC/DC Module Magnetic Fields, No Currents to solve a problem where I have 4 similar assemblies of two permanent magnets sitting inside a steel housing. I know that when the magnets are facing a certain position the flux should be contained within the housing and when you rotate one of the magnets the flux should go outside of the housing. I was able to model that pretty well when I have one of the assemblies and even get the force on a steel plate located underneath to show that when the assembly flux is contained the force on the plate is very small and when you turn one magnet the force is much higher. The next thing I am trying to do is get the force that the assemblies would generate on one another. In other words when I place 4 of these assemblies, two side by side and facing each other, I could get a force reading when the flux is not contained which seems reasonable, but when I turn the magnets I get a higher force when ideally it should be much lower if not zero. I have a feeling that since I am trying to get the force of several components (two magnets and a steel housing) the force reading is wrong. I also tried integrating the Maxwell magnetic Surface stress tensor on the surfaces, but I am not sure if that would be correct.

I have attached a model, so you can get a better understanding of what it looks like. I deleted the mesh and the results to make the model smaller.

Thank,
Adam

0 Replies Last Post Oct 8, 2015, 2:11 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Adam Ben Shabat

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.