Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to feed a flat circular coil in 3D

Orlando René Del Sol Puig

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I want to feed a flat circular coil with 0.5 A using Magnetic Physic, also I have doubts about the boundary conditions that I have to set . My main goal is to generate eddy currents in an aluminum plate. I have made different attempts but always the solution diverges, I have used the option of single-turn coil domaim.

4 Replies Last Post Oct 14, 2015, 7:53 p.m. EDT
Sergei Yushanov Certified Consultant

Posted: 9 years ago Oct 9, 2015, 2:55 p.m. EDT
Orlando,

Try to assign small conductivity to air, say 1[S/m].

Regards,
Sergei
Orlando, Try to assign small conductivity to air, say 1[S/m]. Regards, Sergei

Posted: 9 years ago Oct 9, 2015, 6:53 p.m. EDT
Thank you for your answer.

I did what you told me and I achieved to simulate the system but I failed to establish the influence of the coil on the aluminum plate, I guess I have difficulty in establishing the boundary conditions. What do you recomend me??
Thank you for your answer. I did what you told me and I achieved to simulate the system but I failed to establish the influence of the coil on the aluminum plate, I guess I have difficulty in establishing the boundary conditions. What do you recomend me??

Sergei Yushanov Certified Consultant

Posted: 9 years ago Oct 12, 2015, 7:48 a.m. EDT
Orlando,

There is an example problem with step by step instructions for the analysis of eddy currents in the aluminum conductor placed above the coil:

www.comsol.com/model/download/216751/models.acdc.multiturn_coil_asymmetric_conductor.pdf

Regards,
Sergei
Orlando, There is an example problem with step by step instructions for the analysis of eddy currents in the aluminum conductor placed above the coil: http://www.comsol.com/model/download/216751/models.acdc.multiturn_coil_asymmetric_conductor.pdf Regards, Sergei

Posted: 9 years ago Oct 14, 2015, 7:53 p.m. EDT
I have some problems to solve my simmulation, the software gives me the following answer:
Failed to find a solution.
Divergence of the linear iterations.
Returned solution is not converged.

I dont know what is the reason.
I have some problems to solve my simmulation, the software gives me the following answer: Failed to find a solution. Divergence of the linear iterations. Returned solution is not converged. I dont know what is the reason.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.