Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Natural convection coefficient

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear All,

I am a new user of Comsol and I am currently running a simulation using convective cooling-external natural convection.
Does anyone know what value of heat transfer coefficient h [W/m^2/Κ] Comsol is using for this application?

Thank you in advance,
Michalis L.

4 Replies Last Post Nov 2, 2015, 6:21 a.m. EST

Posted: 9 years ago Nov 2, 2015, 5:04 a.m. EST
It depends on the materials. If you google "heat transfer coefficient" you will find a wide selection of values.

BR
Lasse
It depends on the materials. If you google "heat transfer coefficient" you will find a wide selection of values. BR Lasse

Posted: 9 years ago Nov 2, 2015, 5:09 a.m. EST
Mr.Murtomäki many thanks for your responce,

I forgot to mention that I am looking for the h that Comsol uses for Air in external natural convection.

Thanks,
Michalis
Mr.Murtomäki many thanks for your responce, I forgot to mention that I am looking for the h that Comsol uses for Air in external natural convection. Thanks, Michalis

Hinrich Arnoldt COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago Nov 2, 2015, 5:53 a.m. EST
Dear Michalis,

the formula for the heat transfer coefficient is documented in the Heat Transfer Module User's Guide pages 67-75.

Kind regards
Hinrich Arnoldt
Dear Michalis, the formula for the heat transfer coefficient is documented in the Heat Transfer Module User's Guide pages 67-75. Kind regards Hinrich Arnoldt

Posted: 9 years ago Nov 2, 2015, 6:21 a.m. EST
Dear Hinrich,

Thank you very much for your reply
Dear Hinrich, Thank you very much for your reply

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.