Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

negation concentration values when calculating convention diffusion of particles

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

HI all,
I want to get the concentration values of particles in oil,and i am tyring to use the models of Transport of Dilutes Species(tds) and Turbulent Two-Phase Flow,Level Set(tpf) . The initial concentration is 10^(-12)mol/m^3, but there are negative values in the calculation results,and the negative values is about -10^(-12)mol/m^3.

when the initial concentration is 1mol/m^3, the negative value is about -0.01,which can be accepted.

I want to know whether the COMSOL software is suitable for the calculation of my case,in which the concentration values of particles are small.

Does anyone have a similar problem?

Thank's in advance,

Liangwang Wang

2 Replies Last Post Nov 19, 2015, 4:28 a.m. EST

Posted: 9 years ago Nov 9, 2015, 2:00 a.m. EST
Hi

The issue of negative concentrations has been discussed in this forum quite frequently. There appears to be no single solution to the problem. I had a similar problem with the convective diffusion equation. The solution was better meshing in the narrow areas, but I could not get rid off it completely. Convective diffusion is a notoriously difficult problem because the convective term easily is orders of magnitude larger than the diffusion term. It is thus analogous to a problem where a fast chemical reaction takes place along diffusion.

You could try a higher relative accuracy than the default 0.01.

BR
Lasse
Hi The issue of negative concentrations has been discussed in this forum quite frequently. There appears to be no single solution to the problem. I had a similar problem with the convective diffusion equation. The solution was better meshing in the narrow areas, but I could not get rid off it completely. Convective diffusion is a notoriously difficult problem because the convective term easily is orders of magnitude larger than the diffusion term. It is thus analogous to a problem where a fast chemical reaction takes place along diffusion. You could try a higher relative accuracy than the default 0.01. BR Lasse

Posted: 9 years ago Nov 19, 2015, 4:28 a.m. EST
HI, Lasse,
Think you for your reply, i had tried your suggestion, but the negative concentration still existed. And i finally solved my problem using the measures on cn.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/29200

I am a new user on comsol. I should learn from you more in the future. Thank you very much for your help!
HI, Lasse, Think you for your reply, i had tried your suggestion, but the negative concentration still existed. And i finally solved my problem using the measures on http://cn.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/29200 I am a new user on comsol. I should learn from you more in the future. Thank you very much for your help!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.