Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

User defined material property file *.xml

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, does anybody know how to bulid the User defined material property file *.xml as attached?
I found it from a benchmark example, but do not konw how to bulid it by myself.

The webpage does not allow me to upload the original xml, so I save it as a pdf file.

7 Replies Last Post Sep 22, 2010, 8:31 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 21, 2010, 10:22 a.m. EDT
Hi

normally you define it within COMSOL in the librbary module by defning a nw material and then defining the piecewise functions therein

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi normally you define it within COMSOL in the librbary module by defning a nw material and then defining the piecewise functions therein -- Good luck Ivar

Alejandro Rodriguez Perez

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 21, 2010, 2:56 p.m. EDT
Hi,

I am calculating the transient field norm on an STM junction using electromagnetic waves. The dielectric constant of silver for the laser I am using is -27+.4*j. If I use time harmonic it solves no problem but if I use transient, which is what I need, it gives me:
Error:
Failed to find consistent initial values.
Undefined_value_found_Linsolv
NaN_or_Inf_found_when_solving_linear_system_using_SOR

If I use -27 it still gives me the error but if I use 5+.4*j it solves no problem. Does anybody know why it doesn't like -27+.4*j in transient calculations?

Thank you in advance.
Alejandro
Hi, I am calculating the transient field norm on an STM junction using electromagnetic waves. The dielectric constant of silver for the laser I am using is -27+.4*j. If I use time harmonic it solves no problem but if I use transient, which is what I need, it gives me: Error: Failed to find consistent initial values. Undefined_value_found_Linsolv NaN_or_Inf_found_when_solving_linear_system_using_SOR If I use -27 it still gives me the error but if I use 5+.4*j it solves no problem. Does anybody know why it doesn't like -27+.4*j in transient calculations? Thank you in advance. Alejandro

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 21, 2010, 2:57 p.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 21, 2010, 2:57 p.m. EDT
I apologize I posted 3 times by mistake.
I apologize I posted 3 times by mistake.

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 21, 2010, 7:35 p.m. EDT
Thanks for the reply.
Yes, I know how to define material property in material libary, but I do not know how to bulid the *.xml file, which can be used as a independent file or seperated file. It is very convenient if we can define the properties in a seperated file.
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I know how to define material property in material libary, but I do not know how to bulid the *.xml file, which can be used as a independent file or seperated file. It is very convenient if we can define the properties in a seperated file.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 22, 2010, 1:45 a.m. EDT
Hi

indeed there is no save material file, but you can create it within COMSOL, put the material into a custom library in xml format and then you will find the file in your .../users.../.comsol directory.
This is valid for 3.5, in V4.0a I agree there seem to be no way to generate such a xml file, allthough COMSOL v4 can import one. The default format is the .mph, which is a zip type file, but therein the materials data is already reformatted into a propretary COMSOL xml format I see

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi indeed there is no save material file, but you can create it within COMSOL, put the material into a custom library in xml format and then you will find the file in your .../users.../.comsol directory. This is valid for 3.5, in V4.0a I agree there seem to be no way to generate such a xml file, allthough COMSOL v4 can import one. The default format is the .mph, which is a zip type file, but therein the materials data is already reformatted into a propretary COMSOL xml format I see -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 22, 2010, 8:31 a.m. EDT
Thanks so much. It does work well.
Thanks so much. It does work well.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.