Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Transient turbulent flow through wind turbine

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Good evening,

My name is Artem,

I try to solve the transient problem of turbulent flow through wind turbine (in this step). Ideally , it should be turbulent flow (i.e air) that drive wind turbine.

But I start with simple case: I don't consider any deformation in tower, blades and nacelle, I just want to see how the flow is acting passing the wind turbine.

I use the k-epsilon turbulent model. To model the turbine I just subtracted the turbine shape from the domain and define Logarithmic Wall function on the boundary, with Wall offset.

I define Inlet BC as constant speed of 8 m/s along X direction, and no viscous stress at outlet.

I defined the domain to be block: 45e-4 by 17e-4 by 30e-4

My mesh is defined by max. element of 1e-3 and 1e-4 on a boundary of turbine.

I can solve the Stationary problem.

Then, following the example and suggestion, in Solver manager I set Use Current Solution for initial value, change problem for Transient, choosing Time dependent Segregated solver.

And my solver stuck on Solving linear system, with no progress.

What could cause such a problem?
Also, in some case, when I don't use an option Use Current Solution, I end up with error message:

"Couldn't find consistent initial value"

I'd appreciate any help and suggestions.

Thank you.

1 Reply Last Post Sep 23, 2010, 9:49 a.m. EDT

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 23, 2010, 9:49 a.m. EDT
Here is an attached COMSOL file with a problem.
Here is an attached COMSOL file with a problem.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.