Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

AFM SCANNER

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi All,
I am very new to COMSOL. Could someone kindly tell me which module in COMSOL is suitable for simulating an Atomic force Microscope (AFM) scanner? For those not familiar with AFM, the scanner permits small amount of movement in both X and Y axis in the tune of about 100 um in both axes usually actuated by piezo ceramic material. Any help accorded to me will be highly appreciated. Thank you.

Kind Regards,
Ben

2 Replies Last Post Dec 5, 2015, 9:56 a.m. EST
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago Dec 2, 2015, 11:36 a.m. EST
COMSOL software can certainly be used to perform many types of analyses on AFM scanners.
Feel free to provide more details on what specific physical phenomena related to that AFM scanner you would like to model and Forum users can give you more insights into how they may have used COMSOL for the types of analyses in question.
Best regards,
Jeff
COMSOL software can certainly be used to perform many types of analyses on AFM scanners. Feel free to provide more details on what specific physical phenomena related to that AFM scanner you would like to model and Forum users can give you more insights into how they may have used COMSOL for the types of analyses in question. Best regards, Jeff

Posted: 9 years ago Dec 5, 2015, 9:56 a.m. EST
Hi Jeff,
Thank you so much for the response to your mail.
I have already modeled my scanner that consists of a steel metallic outer casing, An aluminum used as the center piece to house 8 piezo ceramic stacks of dimensions 5x5x10 each for the X-Y actuation and Y piezo stack of dimension 2x3x5 mm. The scanner is built on the push-pull principle (See the attached file).

I would like to predict the first resonance frequency in the scanning direction. I just need a clue on how to go about this. In case you need further clarification kindly let me know.

Kind Regards,
Ben
Hi Jeff, Thank you so much for the response to your mail. I have already modeled my scanner that consists of a steel metallic outer casing, An aluminum used as the center piece to house 8 piezo ceramic stacks of dimensions 5x5x10 each for the X-Y actuation and Y piezo stack of dimension 2x3x5 mm. The scanner is built on the push-pull principle (See the attached file). I would like to predict the first resonance frequency in the scanning direction. I just need a clue on how to go about this. In case you need further clarification kindly let me know. Kind Regards, Ben

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.