Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Inductive coil energised by external (cir) capacitor

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi there,

I have simulated a number of DC solenoid actuators, but am looking to simulate one which is energised by an external ("cir" interface) capacitor.

Could anyone point me towards a model that demonstrates the basics of how to set this up? The model would clearly be a time dependant study using the mf interface, together with the cir interface. The idea is to energise the coil in the solenoid (a numeric multi-turn coil, 3D model) using an external capacitor of known capacitance and charged to a known voltage.At time t=0, a switch would be closed and the capacitor would discharge into the multi turn coil.

My actual device has steel components and, hence, eddy currents. For the moment I would be happy getting a simple air core solenoid energised by an external capacitor, and I can add the various layers of complexity to the model once I understand the workflow of energising the coil with an external capacitor.

Thanks for any assistance!

Mark

EDIT: I have attached the simplified model so far, just not sure how to progress it further. Thanks in advance!

0 Replies Last Post Dec 7, 2015, 10:58 a.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Mark Harradine

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.