Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Coaxial Borehole heat exchanger

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear COMSOL users,

I work on geothermal heating systems using borehole heat exchanger (see file attached for general functioning of coaxial geothermal exchanger). To that purpose, I use non-isothermal pipe flow interface (calculates fluid exchanger temperature from reservoir temperature) coupled with Darcy's law and heat transfer in porous media interfaces (pressure and reservoir temperature).

So far I was able to model complex geometry of a single layered pipe loop. Now, I was wondering if there is a way to account for coaxial heat exchanger using the non-isothermal pipe flow interface (simplify 3D geometry of the pipe to 1D element). Due to the high extent of the numerical model, I cannot afford meshing the geothermal system explicitly in 3D. I know the solution exists in other numerical codes (such as FEFLOW) and I would like to reproduce using COMSOL.

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated!

Regards,
Morgan Le Lous

3 Replies Last Post Jun 16, 2016, 10:22 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Morgan Le Lous

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 8 years ago Jun 16, 2016, 7:40 a.m. EDT
Hi,

I am working on a similiar problems and I am also interested in using the 1D pipe element to simplify 3D geometry of different types of ground heat exchangers, such as U-tube, double U-tube, coaxial, etc., to model the heat exchange betewen the fluid and the surrounding medium.

It would be great to know if anyone has used the Heat transfer in pipes physics interface to make an equivalent ground heat exchanger in 1D and could tell a bit more about their approach.

Best regards,
Mateusz

Hi, I am working on a similiar problems and I am also interested in using the 1D pipe element to simplify 3D geometry of different types of ground heat exchangers, such as U-tube, double U-tube, coaxial, etc., to model the heat exchange betewen the fluid and the surrounding medium. It would be great to know if anyone has used the Heat transfer in pipes physics interface to make an equivalent ground heat exchanger in 1D and could tell a bit more about their approach. Best regards, Mateusz

Posted: 8 years ago Jun 16, 2016, 9:04 a.m. EDT
Hi,

I would advice you to have a look to this article. Authors developed a two-dimensional thermal resistance and capacity models for different types of BHE. The formulation is already available in FEFLOW code. Hope my contribution was helpful.

onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/er.1689/pdf

Best regards.
Hi, I would advice you to have a look to this article. Authors developed a two-dimensional thermal resistance and capacity models for different types of BHE. The formulation is already available in FEFLOW code. Hope my contribution was helpful. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/er.1689/pdf Best regards.

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago Jun 16, 2016, 10:22 a.m. EDT
Hello Mateusz and Morgan,
Yes, this can be done in COMSOL, see
www.comsol.com/blogs/modeling-geothermal-processes-comsol-software/
and the links therein.
Best,
Jeff
Hello Mateusz and Morgan, Yes, this can be done in COMSOL, see https://www.comsol.com/blogs/modeling-geothermal-processes-comsol-software/ and the links therein. Best, Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.