Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

PLZT material properties for surface acoustic wave simulation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am designing a surface acoustic wave resonator by using PLZT (Lead Lanthanum Zirconium titanate) at a composition of 8/60/40. I am struggling problems to obtain material properties in like:
In strain-charge form:
1. Compliance matrix,
2. Coupling matrix,
3. Loss factor for compliance matrix, coupling matrix and electrical permittivity.
In strain-charge form:
1. Elasticity matrix,
2. Coupling matrix,
3. Loss factor for elasticity matrix, coupling matrix and electrical permittivity.

I request the related people to kindly guide me to carry forward my work.
-yeswanth

1 Reply Last Post Dec 14, 2015, 10:12 a.m. EST

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 9 years ago Dec 14, 2015, 10:12 a.m. EST
Dear Yeswanth,

If you do not know or can find the material parameters in literature, you have to determine the material properties by yourself. You can perform Ab-Initio calculation, however, material parameters depends on your material. That means, it's structure/imperfections/stress etc. Usually, you have to determine material parameters experimentally.
There are methods you can measure selected material properties directly, for instance Piezotest.
If you need the full set of material constants you may have a look at 176-1987 - IEEE Standard on Piezoelectricity, where a methodology is described.

Best,
Nicolas
Dear Yeswanth, If you do not know or can find the material parameters in literature, you have to determine the material properties by yourself. You can perform Ab-Initio calculation, however, material parameters depends on your material. That means, it's structure/imperfections/stress etc. Usually, you have to determine material parameters experimentally. There are methods you can measure selected material properties directly, for instance Piezotest. If you need the full set of material constants you may have a look at 176-1987 - IEEE Standard on Piezoelectricity, where a methodology is described. Best, Nicolas

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.